Can a tank get + rating on hydro if previous one didn't have it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While possible, don't count on the shop to have the REE on file. Sometimes you need to contact the manufacturer with your cylinder markings to get the value and provide documentation to the shop. I had to do that for a Faber of mine. With time knowledge and testing resources you can even work it up yourself from accepted formulas.

And to reinforce:
The + can be sought at any testing
Prior omission is irrelevant.
Many shops do not calculate for the + unless you explicitly request that they do so.

Pete

yes o can get it renewed. the hydro does not extend the last testing. It renews the original testing.

yes o can get it renewed. the hydro does not extend the last testing. It renews the original testing.

What a great way to say it, I never considered it that way.

There is so much that is not understood about hydro-testing!

Spectrum stated it well!

A little background. I run a hydro-test facility in a dive shop and have been involved with testing for over 30 years.
An REE is not "on file" anywhere! It is either stamped on the cylinder at the time of manufacture, in the CGA guidelines or it is calculated at the hydro-test facility with an extensive calculation that not many are willing to under-go!

The hydro-test is not extending the last test or renewing the original test! We are testing the elasticity of the base metal in it's current condition (a lot of things can happen to a cyl) to withstand the filling process for 5 more years! Remember if a cylinder is subjected to some extreme (Big drop, abrasion or extreme heat) it should be re-tested!!!

You must ask for the plus stamp or it is often overlooked at the time of re-hydro. If the REE is known, it is easy to calculate and add.
Though I have found that not all shops look for it and some do not even know what it means. But it is well worth the effort to ask for it. I like to use my LP steels on live a-boards as I find it is easier to get a full 2400 or 2640 fill than a full 3500 fill.

But the real question is: Are you loving your dive time how ever long it is???

TTFN

PrffsrE

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom