What agency has the most technical nitrox training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno, ask GUE/UTD or any DIR diver...

The reference was for PADI's use of 50% on their final stops. Tec40 doesn't allow the use of 100% for accelerated deco at this level, which is stupid. I use 50% for deeper stops, but if you're going to teach accelerate deco, start with 100% at the 20ft stops. Coming off of 32%, you get no significant acceleration with 50%.

Also I'm not sure where the chest thumping for TDI comes from, but if we're defining the alphabet soup based purely on that "International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers" trumps "Technical Diving International".... Nothing against TDI, but that's a bold statement to make....

There's also Global Underwater Explorers that doesn't dive with anything except nitrox.... You literally won't ever breathe compressed air during one of their courses and air isn't on a list of their approved gasses... Their first course is "Recreational Diver Level 1- Nitrox Diver"....

If you are looking at recreational level nitrox I would agree with one of the other posts, NAUI. Much more content than the others.

For a recreational nitrox course with more meat to it the TDI, NAUI, or SEI Nitrox courses are all about the same. I can see all sides of the argument for certing to 100% for all nitrox classes. Normally the recreational courses, if you will, are for those who may want to just dive to 40% but still understand the math and science behind the formulas. Those that don't include this stuff, and really for up to 40% may not need it, except when it encourages a lack of attention to things like the CNS clock, PO2 loading beyond what your computer tells you based on the individual, and an attitude of "set the computer and go have fun" type fluff.

I have spoken to a number of people that are nitrox certified, supposedly, who still don't understand why 28% or 30% is better than 32% for certain dives. Not just for depth but for personal physiology reasons. Myself I don't mix or plan for 1.4/1.6 on deco. I prefer 1.3/1.5.

When I was nitrox certified through PADI in 2004 my course covered all the formulas, I had to calculate EAD, Best Mix, MOD, and we actually did a little with blending. But that was, I am sure, my instructor. I have no problem with people doing the on line portion for the TDI class and then coming to me to get the practical stuff done. Have certed a couple divers that way and it's nice to only have to spend 1 1/2 hours instead of three or four verifying they understand the material. I'm not going to take anyone's computer print out as proof they do. It's less money 35 vs 145 but it is also usually done to qualify for the HOG reg course.

It was a bit of an eye opener for me to see that when I crossed over to SDI/TDI the SEI nitrox class I was teaching covered everything in the Nitrox and Adv Nitrox classes even though one was supposedly good to 40 and the other to 100. The SEI one by the way is for mixes to 40%. As for deco on back gas that is covered in the SEI OW class using the Navy tables.

Where I have seen the difference in the TDI Nitrox and Adv Nitrox classes is in the people taking them. I teach AN in conjunction with DP. Been asked about AN alone but I kind of discouraged that as the diver did not really want to do deco. They just wanted to speed up getting rid of residual O2 when diving air by switching to O2 at the safety stop. One reason was they did not want to dedicate tanks to nitrox but were ok with having a 30 or 40 with O2 in it slung as a pony. Did not think that was such a good idea. Maybe I was wrong but it just seemed to up the risk factor if they had a problem with the main tank at 100 feet and jumped on the O2 out of habit.

With AN there really is not that much more content than the TDI Nitrox class except that it is now put into context with actual staged decompression and that, to me, is where the whole thing changes. As well as adding dives using up to 100%. Adds a new level of risk and while up to 40% is not going to be much of an issue if someone's buoyancy is a little off, with 100% or multiple deco gasses, it becomes much more important that buoyancy and trim skills are spot on.

I don't see it as a money grab in the same vein as manatee wrangler or pool diver. I see it as options for those who want the additional knowledge and skills to suit their diving styles and interests. Not everyone is a dive god with all the knowledge there is about it gained in a few short years. Some take longer than others and need the steps broken down a little. Not everyone is an engineer that can do complex math in their head. There are those who are just as intelligent, but in other ways, for whom math is a challenge and so coupling that with the proper mindset also needs to be introduced in stages.

Being over 55, with a lot of other things going on, my mind does not work the same as it did 20 or 30 years ago. I need to slow down on some things and put them on paper to see the relationships. If someone is a genius good for them. They should however not use it to belittle others and the routes that they may need to take in order to reach the same destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
Let me be another to recommend the TDI basic Nitrox course. I took it a few years back as e-learning and chose it because it was the only one (at the time) that had local instructors who could finish out the cert for me and also offered more than just the computer based course. As someone else mentioned, the materials were well written and I think I spent about an hour and a half going through them to understand them. (I brush up every 10-12 months or so though) I also posted on here about my experience because I found several questions incorrect or badly written on the exam/quizzes and I contacted TDI and got thorough communication back thanking me for my feedback and assuring me that they would update their test database to correct the issues. Good customer service goes a long way, in my book.

Dunno, ask GUE/UTD or any DIR diver...

That only works at certain times of the day when they are programmed to speak.

BTW- You get the best patches from PADI. Something to consider.

Jim, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think the break down has occurred solely for the agencies to offer more classes as opposed to offering robust classes. While I understand that not all of us are young engineers that can understand the math, I firmly believe that there is no "middle ground" in these subjects. You can either do the math for nitrox or you can't. If you can do the math for nitrox, you can do the math for trimix because it's identical. If you can PP blend 2 gasses, PP blending 3 gasses is the same.

If you're going to do accelerated deco, why bother teaching with 50%? If you're doing staged decompression, should it not be with the "best mix"? I think it all really is something that the agencies are trying to break down to allow them to make the most money and it's just wrong. You are teaching over and above what is required, hell that's why you're writing the books on some of these courses. Bring back mentoring, hold people accountable for limiting themselves with critical thinking on why something is a bad idea instead of holding them back with a card.

I teach SDI, TDI, PADI and UTD. Although any course I give incorporates the best of all of these, simply based on the material covered the TDI and UTD courses are the most thorough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim, we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think the break down has occurred solely for the agencies to offer more classes as opposed to offering robust classes. While I understand that not all of us are young engineers that can understand the math, I firmly believe that there is no "middle ground" in these subjects. You can either do the math for nitrox or you can't. If you can do the math for nitrox, you can do the math for trimix because it's identical. If you can PP blend 2 gasses, PP blending 3 gasses is the same.

If you're going to do accelerated deco, why bother teaching with 50%? If you're doing staged decompression, should it not be with the "best mix"? I think it all really is something that the agencies are trying to break down to allow them to make the most money and it's just wrong. You are teaching over and above what is required, hell that's why you're writing the books on some of these courses. Bring back mentoring, hold people accountable for limiting themselves with critical thinking on why something is a bad idea instead of holding them back with a card.

I understand your point of view (and agree with most of it), but I think Jim makes some very valid points. In terms of Nitrox, they should absolutely be able to do all of the math and have a good understanding of the material. The cut off between 40% and 100% could be in part a money issue, but far more likely is a liability issue. Agencies and dive shops want as many new divers to get certified and dive with nitrox, but the dangers between having a 40% bottle and a 100% are huge. Its not safe to give a new diver access to 100% right of the bat--bottle handling on the surface, buoyancy issues at 20ft, carelessness, and just blatant stupidity. All things that can be learned and corrected, but a nitrox course is for the most part a auto-pass class. Take the test, do the dives, you are done. Adv.N at least has some entry requirements and skills that need to be demonstrated in order the receive the "I am not a total f*ckup diver" card and get access to 100%

To OP, It is the instructor not the agency that will dictate the quality of Nitrox instruction. You want to avoid the online classes and find an instructor who teaches a nitrox class between 3-4 hours in length. Ask him everything that will be taught in the class. He should say..calculating Equivalent Air Depths, Tissue Loading, Best Mix, Partial Pressuer, safety protocols, analysis, O2 toxicity, etc

As many have posted TDI does have a good course. The original post said that there is a plan for tech diving in the future. If that is the case it would be best to find some one who can be a guide a, preferable a tech instructor willing to help you get pointed in the right direction. There is training worth taking and training that would be a wast of time so it is good to have some one who can speak to that. On top of that the further down the diving rabbit hole you go the more important a good instructor is and less important the agency. I know good and bad instructors from every agency, they can put to gather the best course on earth but if the person teaching it can not convey the information then its still a poor course. TDI is a good place to start and if you end goal is to eventually be a tech diver talk to other tech divers in your area and get a sense of who is the good instructor around there and start working with them as your experience builds.

As an instructor for TDI, PADI AND IANTD, I can categorically say that the most complete course is taught through IANTD. TDI's basic nitrox and advanced nitrox courses together cover what IANTD basic nitrox course covers. I am not saying that padi and tdi dont have solid programs. Just IANTD has a bit more meat in it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom