Info on Cuan Law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody dive recently with Cuan Law trimaran in the BVI? Supposedly they do more than dive, like kayaking? Which my non-diving wife would appreciate. Any info on the diving, other activities, and the boat experience itself is appreciated.

We thought about it a few years back but unless they have a minimum number of bookings for your cruise they will cancel on you. It is spelled out to you but I would never book with those conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I also have a non-diving spouse and when I politely inquired a few years ago about a discount for her, I received a very snippy response regarding their inability and unwillingness to offer any reduction in price. Told me all I needed to know. Crossed them off my list and never regretted it.

Last edited:
I also had once wanted to do this boat. But when I learned they would cancel cruises on you I crossed them off my list. Ironically, that policy probably reduces business and makes it more likely they won't hit their minimums. (Apologies to the OP that we're just whining and not answering your question...)

I've not been on it. Diver Steve has mentioned it in some of his posts. In this thread on picking a Caribbean Live-aboard, and his post #33 includes this excerpt:

The most spacious liveaboard in the Caribbean is Cuan Law in the BVI's. It's massive - 2 separate flights of stairs down from the main level to board the tenders to take you diving.
Each stateroom adjoins the Main Salon which measures over 30 feet by 22. This is the social hub of the ship with luxurious real leather easy chairs and sofas, tables and a large bar. Around the mast are coolers for beer, wine and juices. The salon has two wide openings onto the cockpit deck where meals are served.

One of the better boats for non-dive activity, they have all the water toys and since many of the moorings in the BVI's are near an island, offer multiple off-boat excursions. They even carry two 14' Hobie Cats on board. And you can ski - although I think that's behind one of the zodiacs.

Aquacat has/does some of that also.

Live-aboards lend themselves to a 'dive-a-holic' mentality, but you'll see some involve other things. Not sure if the AquaCat's island excursions & what-not would suffice, but it's a popular boat so I imagine some other folks could tell you.

Much as I loved my live-aboard trip on the Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize, your post makes me ask...what's got you looking at live-aboards when non-diving activities to entertain a non-diver are a priority? Just curious, and the answer might help others help you.

Richard.

---------- Post added September 14th, 2015 at 10:12 PM ----------

P.S.: If the boat not being guaranteed to run if under booked is a concern (which is not unique to this operation), find out when they're busier season is. They can probably give you some idea what time of year booking would make the odds of cancellation remote. Or even book you on a trip where they've already got plenty of reservations made.

I took a group on the Cuan Law several years ago. It is not your typical live-aboard where you are going to do 5 dives a day. It was pretty obvious once we got there that they were more geared towards guests that want to do a lot of different water based activities, one of which is diving. There are plenty of activities for non-divers and the boat is VERY spacious and the food was awesome! We ended up doing two dives per day but actually had a great time even with the limited amount of diving due to lots of other fun activities. If you are looking for a boat where you get to dive your brains out, this is not the boat. If you want to do some diving but also other water activities, the boat was great. As far as taking a non-diving spouse, this would be an ideal boat in my opinion. Keep in mind that it was 9-10 years ago when we were on the boat, so your mileage may vary!

Thanks for the responses. I will have a much better chance of going on any live-aboard If I can get my non-diving wife to come along! So thats is why I was curious about this one. And our dive club is planning the trip so I think there's a good chance the minimum numbers will be met.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom