Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not a huge deal our last LOB trip had professor John (there was also a Dr. John) onboard (he taught biology). Nice guy (odd for sure) but wore the same brown shirt and black speedo the whole trip (i think he had 2 pairs of each). I made the mistake of looking up while climbing the stairs while the professor was above, yikes!!! Some things can be unseen! He also wore his outfit while we visited a village.

He also said to me one day "you have a different pair of shorts on". huh? who notices these things?:confused:

All in all everyone got along on the cruise. I did note to make sure not to book a boat booked by a single group, group dynamics can be strange.

Or simply people who didn't have time to get to the other side of the boat... happened more than once. But if you'd rather have us puke in the boat than on the wrong side, that's up to you.

As a dive boat owner, I would definitely have you spew on the deck than over the wrong side. Decks are easy to wash. The gear you spew all over not so much.

Eeww People who do not take the direction of the wind into consideration when they spit or spew overboard :vomit:
My BH once flicked the last of the water from her cup overboard on the wrong side. Then I pointed to the guy downwind of us who caught it all, she apologized, and has not done that ever again. (Of course it helps when it's just drinking water rather than precious bodily fluids). If you don't have much experience with boats you may not immediately realize where and how the wind would blow stuff.

As a dive boat owner, I would definitely have you spew on the deck than over the wrong side. Decks are easy to wash. The gear you spew all over not so much.
I guess we don't think of the same boats, all the dive boats I've been on had the gear at the center. So if you go on the wrong side, it'll land on the outside of the boat, hit 2 waves and it's clean (or simply throw some water at it once the boat is out of the water / when you jump in again) It's a whole other story if there's cabins underneath or a lower deck.

Last edited:
I recall two incidents, both in COZ. I was doing a night dive, and instead of using one of the chemical lights provided I used my own strobe tied around my tank, then I had another strobe clipped on at my chest. I heard a girl ask her dad why I had two, and were different from the other 37 peoples blue chemical lights. In a loud voice he started going on how I must be a diving Santa Clause, laughing away to himself while poking fun. I use my own to distinguish me and my buddy from the rest of the crowd.

The other I was sitting on the boat and a woman and her daughter started talking to me, not initiated by me, telling me all about their diving experience, what serious divers they were, I just nodded and smiled. She then pointed to their toe nails and said ' we are so serious we even paint dive flags on our toes". My buddy quietly said to me " I guess your not a serious diver". I now paint dive flags on my toes every season, I am a much better diver now. :wink:

She then pointed to their toe nails and said ' we are so serious we even paint dive flags on our toes"

I guess I'll never be a serious diver then.

But that's quite OK. I'd rather be a diver who's having fun :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I guess I'll never be a serious diver then.
Because you wear booties and nobody can see your toenails?

Hanlon's Razor
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Jeff's Justification
Abuse Hanlon's Razor to avoid responsibility for my blatant malice behavior.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442275411.496648.jpg

I alternate between dive flags and referee stripes (I referee women's roller derby). Neither make me better at either task, but it's fun to see people doing double takes when they glance downwards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442275461.268610.jpg

-Adrian

View attachment 216483

I alternate between dive flags and referee stripes (I referee women's roller derby). Neither make me better at either task, but it's fun to see people doing double takes when they glance downwards.

View attachment 216484

-Adrian

Can't resist... how about trying the Australian Dive flag.. pretty blue.... :)

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 01:56 PM ----------

Or simply people who didn't have time to get to the other side of the boat... happened more than once. But if you'd rather have us puke in the boat than on the wrong side, that's up to you.

Umm.. yup of course you are right but it was the first thing that came to my mind in my effort to get the thread back on track with the OP's question... :wink: I have the biggest issue with the lugies thing :fear: Believe it or not vomit bothers me very little

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 02:01 PM ----------

Never thought of that... thanks for the info... I do get seasick so I will remember but I have always known when "the time" was imminint :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom