Non-ocean recommendations for good viz diving in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed watching the cormorants fly through the water even more than being up close to the manatees!

Had one shoot in front of me at 50 ft off Catalina Island and then rocket up through the kelp streaming bubbles. One of my favorite dive memories.

You are right, ultra cool to see.

Wisenheimer..........

I wasn't kidding. I've thoroughly enjoyed all my aquarium dives.

Check out the areas for "limestone lakes" they don't tend to get the algae bloom... at least not on the surface. Bottom is kinda weird and spongy where I have dived them in BC (Pavillion Lake and Johnston Lake) but crystal clear and coldish (7 - 8 C)

I wasn't kidding. I've thoroughly enjoyed all my aquarium dives.

Yeah, I agree. Ihave done Epcot five times. It's a great experiences... not so much because of the marine life, but because you get to interact with the kids, who love it. Most of them probably have never seen a scuba diver before, it's so much fun to communicate with them with sign language, play "patty-cake" through the glass, entertain an entire dining room, etc...

Try"Dive USA" its a map of great places. Try Santa Fe ,N.M. it a 120 ft well set up for diving. Its 60 ft across, platforms,etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added September 8th, 2015 at 11:41 PM ----------

While the ocean diving in the region draws the lion's share of attention, be mindful that some freshwater springs in Florida can be quite clear.

Richard.
Ginnie sprins, crystal river

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Great suggestions all - I knew SB wouldn't let me down! I've dove Table Rock and Beaver Lake but not experienced great viz at either; Table Rock was better. I know seasonality is key and I'm sure I missed them. The aquarium comments are interesting, I think I'll try one out once it gets colder.

Lake Huron or Michigan. Quarries- Gilboa or Pennyroyal very clear at some depths.

I haven't been there for a long while, but Lake Travis, outside Austin, Texas, was a good diving lake, at one time. Lots of boat and PWC traffic on weekends, but not much on week days. I've seen 30+ feet visibility in the fall, before turnover, and there are some cool features at Windy Point and the Grottos. You can easily do deep dives to over 100 ft by the dam. Good food, nearby, and camping, as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom