TSandM -- Lynne Flaherty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

For those of you who are not aware, there is a "Sticky" in the Basic Scuba Discussions - "TSandM -- Her Greatest Posts". The Thread was originally started by Mike Boswell, with these words:

One way to honor our friend might be to gather together some of her most memorable posts. Some of them are funny, most are informative, and some, in retrospect, are heartbreaking.

Lynne Flaherty may indeed be lost to us, but we can keep her with us in spirit: She lives on in her writings.

So Here's To Lynne! May we meet again on the other side.

You can find it here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/513273-tsandm-her-greatest-posts.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[h=3]I did a beautiful night dive Saturday September 5, 2015 at Fort Wetherill Jamestown. It was dive 2051 and it was so beautiful and rare I decided to dedicate to the memory of Lynn Flaherty[/h] The life was out tonight!!
Black sea Bass everywhere, good size ones, small togs sleeping in the rocks, sea anemones too many different varieties for me to remember, covered the huge rocks that jut up from the bottom and create overhangs 10’-20’ deep and 30’-40’ high, lobsters, blue crabs, spider crabs, running around the rocks hunting, Johnna crabs sitting back in the rocks waiting for their next meal to come by, green bio luminescent critters covered the surface and gave off a light show with each fin kick going back to shore.

The outer point is one of those places where the current can run in opposite directions at different depths and sometimes be very strong. We hit it just right, almost zero current! Just a little weak outgoing current at 40-45FSW and then once around the point the current was pushing us gently towards shore which is where we wanted to go.

Total time 1 hour, bottom time 50 min, max depth 80, bot temp 61F, surface temp 72F, visibility was a surprising 15’ 20’. My buddy Dave and I swam out from Sandy bottom Cove went around the outer most point at the west end of the cove and ended the dive in West Cove.

Godspeed Lynn Flaherty never got to meet you and Peter but I know we all have the love of diving and the sea in common. Peter, God Bless, I hope you find peace.

I'm in loss for words..a very helpful and kind voice on ScubaBoard is gone.. My condolences to her husband and family. She must have made a sincere impression on divers from all over the world, and will be missed. I almost lost my own wife some years ago, and when we where in doubt how to proceed with diving, we got a lot of good advice from her. As a result, we are still both diving....

I did a beautiful night dive Saturday September 5, 2015 at Fort Wetherill Jamestown. It was dive 2051 and it was so beautiful and rare I decided to dedicate to the memory of Lynn Flaherty

The life was out tonight!!
Black sea Bass everywhere, good size ones, small togs sleeping in the rocks, sea anemones too many different varieties for me to remember, covered the huge rocks that jut up from the bottom and create overhangs 10’-20’ deep and 30’-40’ high, lobsters, blue crabs, spider crabs, running around the rocks hunting, Johnna crabs sitting back in the rocks waiting for their next meal to come by, green bio luminescent critters covered the surface and gave off a light show with each fin kick going back to shore.

The outer point is one of those places where the current can run in opposite directions at different depths and sometimes be very strong. We hit it just right, almost zero current! Just a little weak outgoing current at 40-45FSW and then once around the point the current was pushing us gently towards shore which is where we wanted to go.

Total time 1 hour, bottom time 50 min, max depth 80, bot temp 61F, surface temp 72F, visibility was a surprising 15’ 20’. My buddy Dave and I swam out from Sandy bottom Cove went around the outer most point at the west end of the cove and ended the dive in West Cove.

Godspeed Lynn Flaherty never got to meet you and Peter but I know we all have the love of diving and the sea in common. Peter, God Bless, I hope you find peace.

Lovely post. My buddy and I did something similar last night. I've been so cut up and thinking non-stop about this that he suggested a memorial dive.... so we made it a good one. We dove to 160ft and spent round-about 30 min on the bottom. I took a bottle of wine down with me (Lynne liked wine) and left it behind for her. Noble souls throughout 10,000 years of human history have needed wine to ease their passing into the afterlife. Pharaohs, kings and aristocrats in antiquity were seldom buried without it, and I felt that Lynne deserved nothing less. As long as her body is not found then the ocean is her home and this was the smallest token of respect I could offer for my intrusion. The smallest gift I could offer for the honour of visiting her house.

Our dive was a little over an hour. Max depth 48.5 metres. bottom temperature 6C. Surface temperature 17C, visibility +/- 10m. Total deco time a little over 30 min.

R..

I keep hoping Lynne will be recovered from the sea to help lend closure to this terrible event. I will do my own memorial dive next week during Goliath Grouper aggregation on the Castor in Boynton Beach.

This fine woman has touched many divers. With almost 40K views on this thread alone.

It does show the impact that one human being can have on a community.

As a community of divers we celebrate the splendid life of Lynne. She was engaged until
her final moments.

We mourn for Lynne and we are thankful that Peter has been so forthcoming.

Her legacy lives on.

A tribute to SB as these threads have shown the care and compassion
that divers worldwide have for each other.

I have been off the forum for a few weeks due to computer problems. Now I come back on today to find that one of the most resourceful and kindess people I have had the chance to chat with. The site is at a great lost without her. My prayers to those left behind and please let the healing begain. RIP TSandM / Lynn...you will be missed.

Dear Peter,
I have been out of touch and have just seen the horrible news. My sincerest condolences. The sudden loss of Lynne is most unfair to you and the diving world and so, so shocking. May you obtain closure.
Larry

So very sorry to learn of her passing. May peace be with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom