help i.d. this scubapro computer. is it any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thoughtbuilds

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased this scubapro mk10 rig and it has this computer attached. I can't find it online maybe because there is no visible model number. Is it a good computer and how do I test it? Changing the batteries did not activate the display, does it require something more? I am just starting out here and trying to collect enough equipment for a beginner to do a few dives (after appropriate training of course) I know some things can be money pits and others serviceable equipment I just don't know which is which

10zcqk2.jpg

Last edited:
Have you got it wet? PDCs are water activated most have an on button also. Try submerging it see if comes on. I don't know what kind it is or even if it is a Scubapro, the compass obviously is.

I don't have any experience with it but see if submerging it will help activate the screen.

It might be a collector's item. I've never seen one like that.

Be nice to it. It might be worth some money. Maybe the factory would like to swap you for a new Galileo?

I tried submersion with no success. Does it take a certain amount of pressure or will any submersion due? I used the sink. I am fairly sure it is scubapro brand. In addition to the compass it is also imprinted in the rubber case.

Well at least it's the Rex version. I am confident that it's old, almost certainly outdated and probably obsolete. I'm dying to know more about it now though. I've Googled and googled with no success. Would it be foolish to try to take it from the rubber housing? There may be numbers inside

Well at least it's the Rex version. I am confident that it's old, almost certainly outdated and probably obsolete. I'm dying to know more about it now though. I've Googled and googled with no success. Would it be foolish to try to take it from the rubber housing? There may be numbers inside

Id take it from the housing only if a) it's broken or needs a battery change (assuming it's battery powered lol) or b) you don't care if you damage it. If there are numbers inside they are only likely to be serial numbers so this information may well tell you nothing new. What I would do is post this over in SPs forum and perhaps someone from SP can do some digging, information wise not geological, and get you an answer. I'm gonna guess it's from the 80s so may well pre date the reps. If you're in no hurry I'm sure one of the good folks here on SB will know it just may take a few days for it to be seen. Good luck.

I'd carefully pull it out and see if there's a model # or name.

Realistically that thing is so old that no one at Scubapro is likely going to be able to repair it, algorithm's have gotten much better in the last 50 years and it's probably not safe to use. Electronics decay over time - pressure sensors especially. No way I'd trust something that old for either accurate tank pressure or depth if it does either/both. I doubt you'd be able to find replacement parts anywhere either.

Maybe somebody in the vintage forum knows what it is and will give you $20 for it as a collectible.
Not having any buttons - unless they're on the side and not shown in your picture - before water activation was a feature - maybe early 80's? most had manual activation.

The compass could possibly be pried out and put into some sort of wrist boot. Often they're a standard size module but that one looks smaller.

Last edited:
Well we all seem to be in agreement that it is old. It came on a mk10 regulator in an old hippo bag with tiny little tusa black and white vintage booties and a divetopia black silicone mask with a son of the gun snorkel also a scubapro finseal bcd a mariner suits cyclone hood and two sets of jetfins. All for less than 40 bucks. I'm sure I did well on price I just need to see what useable oh and an older scubapro jm cousteau wet suit, sadly too small

Back
Top Bottom