Low season diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDHopper

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I hate to post another request for itinerary help but I'm in a bit of a rush and don't see this information offhand.

I need to go to Cebu for business at the end of August. I haven't booked my flight yet but I could stay after diving. Most likely I will have 11 days (so my last meeting in Cebu is on Day 0 - I can depart that night or the morning of Day 1, then I have a flight from Cebu home on Day 12.) However, I might be able to add a day or two if it makes a big difference. I've come to the same conclusion as the previous poster that Malapascual (thresher sharks) and Moalboal/Pescador (sardine run) are my best bets. I've also been told to try to visit Palawan but I am not sure if that's too much in such a short time. However, I'm a beginner diver so I'm looking for some alternative suggestions if it seems like the diving (especially Malapascual) is too advanced.

Also, I'm wonder if I need to book ahead in this season (transport, rooms, etc)? Since it seems like conditions could vary, I'd rather maintain some flexibility to decide exact days once I arrive.

Thanks!

1. You have to be AOW to dive the Monad Shoal(24m) for the thrasher shark.
2. End of Aug is low season and reservation is not really necessary. However, if you need private transfer then it is different story.
3. Going to Moalboal from Cebu City is easy by either public bus or taxi. Malapascua is a bit tricky, bus will drop you off at Maya Pier but the unscheduled ferry will only go if it is FULL. Willing to charter the whole ferry will solve the issue. Highly unlikely the taxi driver will turn on the meter so seek advice before jumping into one. It is over US$200.00 for the round trip private transfer between Cebu City and Malapascua!!
4. You won't have time for Palawan.
5. Last minute decision eg. weather turns nasty(Aug/Sept is typhoon season). Moalboal is the best because there is no ferry to catch.

No need to try to add Palawan, not such fab diving and not so easy to get to from Cebu. Malapascua has other good diving. The thresher shark dive is not challenging, but you do need the AOW certification and preferably nitrox (for added bottom time at 24-27 m). If for whatever reason you rule out Malapascua, and you do not want to spend the whole time at Moalboal, and IFF the weather is favourable, you could start out with a ferry ride to Dumaguete for Dauin/Apo or to Tagbilaran (Bohol) for Balicasag or Cabilao. Go there FIRST and finish at Moalboal. because you want to be a land ride away, at most, from Cebu just before your flight.

Thank you for your replies. The weather seems like it has been rather stable but will turn next week when I'm trying to dive. I still think I'll head to Malapascua but I'm concerned about the weather. I think it will all be the same in the bad weather but if there's any alternate suggestions, please let me know!

I'm glad you don't suggest Palawan. I have heard it is amazing and one of the best islands in the world so I have been feeling bad about missing it. It makes me feel a bit better that others don't think it's that great.

I'm glad you don't suggest Palawan. I have heard it is amazing and one of the best islands in the world so I have been feeling bad about missing it. It makes me feel a bit better that others don't think it's that great.
Palawan is a great place for exploration especially the top side but you just don't have the time to do it properly this time around.
If you have more time on your next visit then I would suggest you should try the southern part of the island.

SDHopper,

Couple of years back we stopped in Cebu city on route home from Moalboal, and went diving with Kontiki scuba diving cebu | PADI dive courses philippines who have a set up about 30 mins from Mactan airport. We were surprised by the decent dives we went on from there, especially over to a protected area the name of which escapes me.

If stopping in Cebu, easy enough to head to Malapascua or MoalBoal for a couple of days - or maybe just look at Kontitki for a couple of days diving ?

Cheers

Hi all! I just thought I'd come back and add some notes in case anyone else is looking at this thread. Well - the weather turned out to be really fantastic except for one or two days. I went to Malapascua first. Sharks were amazing. Also got lucky with some baby rays, octopus, etc. Good trip. Public transport to there was stressful when you don't have days to spare, especially with the ferry operators desperately trying to get every dollar out of the foreigners.
Thus I decided to shuffle some stuff around in my schedule at home and extend the trip just to make it more relaxing. Also, I wanted to do more diving but my ears needed a break after the deep dives in Malapascua. (The currents were so much stronger than I was used to, I think I just wasn't managing my ears well because I was so focused on the current.) Luckily my flight home was still part of my work ticket so it was free to change. While in Malapascua, I was sold on Dumaguete so ended up skipping Moalboal and heading south after a break to do some non-diving activities. I flew to Dumaguete. The flight was less than $30 - about the same as one dive there so totally worth it! Plus, I'd never flown Cebu Pacific - what it lacks in punctuality in makes up for in personality. Fun airline. Dumaguete/Apo Island was totally worth it. Very different dives, losts of small stuff.

Overall, I'm glad I left my plans open. It was hard to get a sense of what I wanted to do until I was there. Also, I was able to travel on the couple of rainy days. I'm kinda bummed I didn't get to Moalboal but if I'm there on another business trip, it's the easiest place to get to for an extended weekend so hopefully next time.

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Yes, Cebu Pacific is fun so long as you don't need to stress about connections. So glad you enjoyed your trip and that you are already talking next time. I sense another Philippines addict in the making.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom