Please Sign the Petition to Stop Fedex from Shipping Shark Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Garrity

Registered
Reaction score
Watch this video on the impact this is having... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6y0p3DqNuE

Stop Fedex from Shipping Shark Fins

210,526 signatures
(as of the time of this post)
BY: Chris Maddeford
TARGET: Frederick W. Smith, CEO FedEx

Shark populations are declining around the globe, with over 140 species of sharks swimming towards extinction. The demand for fins, for use in shark fin soup, is a major reason sharks are disappearing - over 73 million sharks are killed for their fins every year.

FedEx does and will ship shark fins, as long as they are packaged properly and won't spoil. This is their policy for anything being shipped for 'human consumption'.

The shark fin trade has been dealt a blow recently by UPS who publicly announced that they will no longer be shipping shark fins, a great win for sharks.

Now is the time to prevent another huge transporter, FedEx from picking up where UPS left off.

Make a difference and help save our oceans by speaking up and signing this petition to tell FedEx to stop shipping shark fins.

Sign petition here... SIGN PETITION

Whilst I am opposed to the shark fin trade, I won't be signing the petition. Fedex is primarily a document transhipment company (as is UPS), based in North America where shark fin consumption is negligible anyhow. I am guessing that they transport somewhere less than 0.1% of the shark fins sold for consumption.

Accordingly, what we have is some crusaders looking for a high profile scalp rather than trying to work effectively against the trade. And that annoys me.

YMMV.

Whilst I am opposed to the shark fin trade, I won't be signing the petition. Fedex is primarily a document transhipment company (as is UPS), based in North America where shark fin consumption is negligible anyhow. I am guessing that they transport somewhere less than 0.1% of the shark fins sold for consumption.

Accordingly, what we have is some crusaders looking for a high profile scalp rather than trying to work effectively against the trade. And that annoys me.

YMMV.

two minutes on google dispel part of your argument

How UPS, Fed Ex Move 25 Million Packages a Day

the second part i would dispute is the issue with how signing a petition somehow weakens the effectiveness of other charities fighting against shark finning?

you might find someone who has no idea about shark finning simply googles "fedex" they see a headline that they no longer carry shark fin, the person thinks "hmmm shark fin?" they see the terrible things that are carried out and viola, you have one more person fighting the cause.

also if you're doing so much good, why not publicise it so we can all get behind you and help?

YMMV.

The Americas’ market size is around $7.4 billion.
3PL ProviderDHLUPSFedExTNTOther
Market Share18%32%46%3%1%

Asia Pacific’s market size is around $7.4 billion.
3PL ProviderDHLUPSFedExTNTOther
Market Share44%11%20%4%21%

Consider those numbers as you hear this news: FedEx recently announced they’ll be buying out Dutch rival TNT Express. “This merger will most likely succeed because FedEx and TNT are a shrewder fit than UPS and TNT were,” Forbes reports. “They complement each other without overlapping significantly.”

The FedEx Acquisition and the Impact on 3PLs

I'm an American living in Taiwan, and Fedex is huge here. Taiwan has banned shark fining here now but behind closed doors it continues. Here is a look at it several years ago in Taiwan.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65FgUYdBOc

I am sure we had a similar thread some time back about UPS shipping shark fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom