Shopping for Used Tanks - Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nveenstra

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

I am looking to build out my kit a little bit - on a budget. I am not sure what to look for in a tank and there are a couple of what seem like potential diamonds in the rough on my local CL. The sellers don't know what they have but they have provided the attached photos. I know they will need to get tested, but do any of these look like they are worth taking a chance on?

Thank you!!

Make an offer:
aXFZNdb.jpg

aXFZNdb,XN9mk4i

Last edited:
Try again on the pictures, they are not showing.

Check out the tank markings to see what type of a tank it is.
Tanks%u00252Bmarkings%u00252Bsmaller.JPG
The metal type shown in the picture is steel, AL denotes aluminum.

Use a website likehttp://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/services%20page/Tank%20Inspection/information/CYLINDER%20SPECIFICATIONS.pdf to determine the tank.

Old steel 72's are not in there so:
Service pressure: 2250 psi
Working pressure: 2475 psi (2250 psi +10%)
Actual air capacity: 71.2 ft3 (at a working pressure of 2475 psi)
Outer diameter: 6.9 in
Length without valve: 25.1 in
Empty weight: 26 lbs (w/o valve)
Buoyancy Empty: 0 lbs (w/valve)
Buoyancy Full: -5.4 lbs (w/valve)​

Read the Sticky at the top of the Forum about AL alloy 6351 tanks. I've seen lot of these tanks on the market, and they look good, but even if they make it through the more expensive hydro, shops may refuse to fill them anyway. I'd probably stay in this century for AL tanks, if I wanted one, it isn't like they are expensive.

Look for any bad pitting on them, and it's a plus if they still have air in them.

I've found some nice inexpensive used tanks over the years.

Good Luck
Bob

Hello!

I am looking to build out my kit a little bit - on a budget. I am not sure what to look for in a tank and there are a couple of what seem like potential diamonds in the rough on my local CL. The sellers don't know what they have but they have provided the attached photos. I know they will need to get tested, but do any of these look like they are worth taking a chance on?

I can't see the images for some reason, but the short answer is that if they pass VIP and hydro, they're a bargain, if they don't, steel tanks can become $200 wind chimes and AL tanks can become $6 worth of scrap (IIRC).

It's worth a look.

flots

Whoops - picture is fixed. Looks like I missed out on the $25.00 one. These appear to be steel based on the information above.

Any thoughts on what a fair price would be? Not sure what kind of offer to make, or how much is too much.

Thank you!!

A used tank is no issue. Recent hydro, visual is all good.
Issue is if approaching need for new hydro, figure on spending $40 to $50 for hydro,visual,fill.. Also if plan is to use for nitrox the used tank may need O2 cleaning, that can make a used tank you buy for $100 a used tank you brought and paid over $150 for after cleaning. Better to buy new , O2 clean for $169.

One looks like a medical 02 tank. Not sure about the others. There are lot of different style threads in use on the various types of tanks out there, can these take scuba valves?

Hello!

Thank you!!

In my opinion you can save money on some items more than others.

The biggest cost cutters on big-ticket items would appear to be good quality computers in "almost new" condition at +/- 40-50% retail and BCD's in almost new condition which sometimes sell for <20% retail.

For example I recently picked up a BCD for my daughter -- a Diva LX -- that retailed in our area for nearly &#8364;700 a few years ago. It had 10 dives on it (according to log books) and I paid &#8364;175. I also picked up BCD for myself this same way. I needed a BCD in a hurry and found a used Seaquest Pro Unlimited, which was a very expensive BCD 10 years ago. It had 100 dives on it (according to log books) and I paid &#8364;75 for it.

As for computers, most of the computers online are either (a) self-divers -- ie broken or (b) so old that you don't want to dive with them. The few decent ones that do come up are usually bid up to more than they are worth. That said. I was able to land a 2nd hand Viper for my daughter that was in perfect condition and had 89 dives on it for &#8364;70 after a bit of dickering.

Regulators that are worth having will sell for about 50% retail, sometimes unserviced. B-quality junk can be picked up for next to nothing. Most of the regulators for sale online are non-functional, pieced out, or or desperate need of servicing. In any case, any reg you buy online will need service before being used so you can add &#8364;100 for that right off the mark. That means that if you can't get a A quality reg online for about &#8364;100 you're wasting your money.

As for tanks. Tanks come in two types. Certified and unCertified. Tanks that need a hydro are, at most, worth their weight in scrap metal. Tanks with a recent hydro and are fairly new are worth maybe 30% of their new value. Tanks on their 2nd or 3rd hydro are worth about 15% of the retail value to divers, which may actually put them under their scrap metal value.

At least..... that's how the 2nd hand market works around here.

R..

Add Helium has new AL80s for $99. Aluminum 80 tank However I have no idea what shipping from Florida is.

Edit: On second though, I think that is a used tank, with a current hydro and VIS. However DRIS has new Luxfers for $149, and shipping from Chicago won't be that much.

Medical O2 tank on the left, old steel 72's on the right. From what I can see the yellow tank has a standard 3/4 threads, and the blue is hard to tell, if you can see threads its 1/2 pipe, it is not worth the trouble unless you like them.

If the yellow tank has air and looks good on a closer inspection, I'd give $20 or so for a chance, less if I could get away with it. If the other is a pipe thread, I'd let them know what a PITA they are and offer another five. If a 72 looks good an still has air in it, I've had good luck with hydros, so far.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom