Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lied. I didn't end up being able to go.
I might go Sunday to look for whales at Monastery. Am still looking for buddy. Anyone wanna join me? Might consider Monday, Lobos or North Monastery. Butterfly House if it is calm and if vis was at least 40' reported.
Sunday Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming NW 5 to 7 kt in the afternoon. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and N 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft. Sunday Night WNW wind 5 to 11 kt. Patchy fog after 11pm. Mixed swell...WNW 3 ft and N 2 ft becoming SSE. Wind waves around 1 ft. Monday NW wind 5 to 10 kt. Patchy fog before 11am. Mixed swell...NW 3 ft and SSE 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 07:20 PM ----------

Dove Breakwall on Friday. Viz about 15-20 with very warm water above 30' and a drop of 9 degrees below that. You could even see the thermocline. Temps 63 and 54. There was a pod of Dolphins over Middle Reef off Breakwall munching on the anchovies. We were right on a wall of anchovies on the first dive's SS. LOTS of fish on the wall, especially during the day dive. Chewy the seal came out to play on the night dive. Halibut, a Market squid, octopus, and the usual crabs.

Today we dove Coral St. Boy that was an urchin barren. Nothing but urchins everywhere. Viz and conditions about the same as the dives the day before, but the thermocline wasn't as distinct.

Flat surface all day.

2 at north monastery, went to 75ish ft on first to see if it would open up but it never did. 10 to 20 ft vis depending on depth. a couple big lings, a wolf eel, and some rock fish. one crab and a sea lion flyby. conditions were calm, nice and sunny topside.

Was at the Breakwater/San Carlos Beach today. Visibility wasn't stellar and probably ranged from 15-20 feet. I found the clearest water within the kelp forest that adorns the Breakwater. Was quite clear within the kelp. There is an amazing amount of bait fish in the shallows. Near the shallows where you enter to head off to Big Pipe, a large school of anchovies/sardines (I don't know which) hung around in 5-8 feet of water. Didn't see much, apart from some very large Sea Hares, well, "being Sea Hares." I believe the yellow cluster around them were their eggs but I don't know. Water was very calm and didn't feel any surge.

Didn't see much, apart from some very large Sea Hares, well, "being Sea Hares." I believe the yellow cluster around them were their eggs but I don't know. Water was very calm and didn't feel any surge.

You are correct. The clumps of "spaghetti" are eggs.

BBC's Big Blue Live airs tonight, Tues, and Wed on PBS. IRRC it is 8pm. It is all about the abundant marine ecosystem in Monterey Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom