Another abalone diver fatality - California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Pleasanton abalone diver dies off Mendocino Coast | The Press Democrat
The body of a missing abalone diver from Pleasanton was recovered off the Mendocino Coast near Little River over the weekend.
He’s at least the seventh person to die while abalone hunting off the North Coast this year.
Yoshihiro Ohhashi, 57, had been reported missing shortly after noon Friday by his diving partner, the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office reported Tuesday. The partner had become ill from the rough ocean at Cobbler’s Point and climbed out of the water, sheriff’s officials said. In doing so, he lost sight of his friend. The partner climbed to the top of a bluff to view the ocean and saw only his friend’s overturned flotation device.
He ran to Van Damme State Park and contacted emergency services, sheriff’s officials said.
Rescue teams from the Mendocino Volunteer Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard, state parks, and the Sheriff’s Office conducted a search. It was called off at dark and resumed Saturday. It concluded that day when the missing man’s body was located by the fire department’s divers in about 15 feet of water near where he’d last been seen, sheriff’s officials said.
The cause of his death has not been determined, sheriff’s officials said.
Ohhashi had several years of experience diving for abalone, including in the area where he died, said Sheriff’s Capt. Greg Van Patten. His friend had been diving just once before, he said.

another sad diving story......bad year for divers...please stay safe on your dives.

It concluded that day when the missing man’s body was located by the fire department’s divers in about 15 feet of water near where he’d last been seen, sheriff’s officials said.

Abalone diving is done while free diving. I usually weight for neutral at 25-30', more on a good day. This would have me floating to the surface from that depth if I did nothing.

I have seen divers that are neutral or slightly heavy on the surface, using their float to rest on and finning to stay on the surface. On a good day you wouldn't have an issue, but when rough you have to work to stay on the surface. If you are tired and can't get to the float or the work compounds a medical condition, it can turn into a disaster. Once panic sets in the belt is never dropped.

I don't know if this was the issue but I have assisted divers back to their float because of this problem, and in one case just dropped their belt.

Bob

To add to Bob's post:

Most of the sites require a relatively strenuous hike down to the water. Then the entry can be challenging with rocky entries and thick kelp. Sometimes Ab divers who are not in their peak condition are winded just getting in. Add in all the other factors like cold water, limited visibility, waves and other stress it can lead to panic or a cardiac event.

Back
Top Bottom