Hard-soled boots & fins for shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gotten some lycra socks, do think they'll help. My bigger issue has been finding a boot to fit. The boots are "unisex" but seem made for mens feet: big in toe box, wider in heel than my foot.

I've been hunting for a while now... have gotten several pairs of hard soled boots; none have worked yet.

My problem is my usual size is too tight, the next size up is too big. Still unable to fit fins with boots because I've not been able to find a boot that fits yet.

Do I:

*get a boot that is tighter -- figuring the water will loosen fit (as with most wet gear)
*get the larger boot and wear more layers? Thicker socks? 2 pairs of socks?

Or screw the new boot/fin hunt and just wear something to walk on shore (TEVA or similar) and use my current boots/fins? :confused:

This is my ONLY gear dilemma in preparing for Bonaire. I'm only 2 weeks away from Departure!! Woo Hoo! :D

My wife has a wider foot and she recently tried the Mares Trilastic 5mm Dive Boots (not the Flexa) and is happy with them. Not sure they are actually wider, but the hard sole dosen't constrict the sides of her feet as much as others in her normal size (not clown shoes).

I've gotten some lycra socks, do think they'll help. My bigger issue has been finding a boot to fit. The boots are "unisex" but seem made for mens feet: big in toe box, wider in heel than my foot.

I've been hunting for a while now... have gotten several pairs of hard soled boots; none have worked yet.

My problem is my usual size is too tight, the next size up is too big. Still unable to fit fins with boots because I've not been able to find a boot that fits yet.

Do I:

*get a boot that is tighter -- figuring the water will loosen fit (as with most wet gear)
*get the larger boot and wear more layers? Thicker socks? 2 pairs of socks?

Or screw the new boot/fin hunt and just wear something to walk on shore (TEVA or similar) and use my current boots/fins? :confused:

This is my ONLY gear dilemma in preparing for Bonaire. I'm only 2 weeks away from Departure!! Woo Hoo! :D

Have you cosidered the idea of Converse sneakers with socks? I absolutely LOVE my Converse Chucks for shore diving Bonaire. They have exactly the right amount of grip and tread for slippery surfaces, and are perfect for the iron shore. I wear a pair of Merino wool socks with them and my feet never get cold. Besides being canvas, Converse also have little holes in the sides which let the water out.

Mine are going to make their 4th trip to Bonaire next summer, and other than being faded are as good as new, and have lasted longer than the booties I took on my first trip there.

I used SeaSoft Sunrays in Bonaire in July. Worked great. Have recently picked up a pair of 4th Element Pelagics that I really like as well. A bit higher on the ankle and have full foot beds and arch support in them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom