orientation dives for new Homestead resident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banyan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My company is moving me to Homestead in October, which I agreed to partly because I'm desperate for some warm water diving and the Keys beckoned. I'm so ignorant of Florida, I didn't realize the southeast coast was also a major dive area until after I agreed to move. So I'm trying to figure out how soon I can get in the water for some orientation dives after getting off the plane. The hiccup is that I've grown too picky about my diving to put up with a 19 year old zero-to-hero DM with 100 dives. Preferably a guide would be able to give weighting and trim advice for a BP/W. Anyone have any recommendations for shops in the area that would be a good fit? Thanks!

Scuba-Do back in the day in Key Largo was always my "hey you should go here" referral, but they closed so now I'm going with Blue Water in a couple of weeks and they seem to have similar vibe. Generally in the keys/SE Fl if you are a decent diver they all will get out of your way and let you have a good time. If you just think you are a good diver you will get some resistance everywhere.

In SoFla....
You need 6 pounds or less with a steel tank when using a BP/W.
Add 4-6 with a beer can on your back.
You will have no problem finding competent locals to dive with when you get here.
Get back to us when you get settled in.

Chug
Rarely goes south of FTL to dive more than 2-3 times a year.

Feel free to contact me. Netdoc and I will be happy to acclimate you to our lovely backyard. You are going to love it here...just 30-40 mins from Key Largo "the Dive Capital of the World" (that's what the sign says when you drive over the bridge). :)

Read through the FL Forum as Keys diving is one of the most common topics. There are about 30 dive ops in the Upper Keys so plenty of options to match your needs.

Just did a week with Quiescence in Key Largo. Strictly six-packs. We had a great time; the boat captains were accomodating & found the dives we were after.
Highly recommended.
:)
Rick

relax dude; we dive all year long in south Florida....no hurries... no worries.

Hi Banyan,

So many great places to dive in SE FL and the Keys. I'm very fond of my neighborhood, Boynton Beach, Blue Heron Bridge, Jupiter. I just got back from the Florida Keys wreck trek on the Spree. My son and I had a blast. I hadn't dived on the Spiegel Grove or the Duane for several years, they were fantastic. These were my first dives on the Vandenberg, I have to figure out a way to get back.

You've got a lot to look forward to.

Good diving, Craig

Dive shops in the Keys all have different personalities. Some fit some better than others. I've been diving down here for years and have been out with almost all the Key Largo & Key West shops, and even a couple in Marathon (cant forget those guys). Even though they all do the same dive sites, they handle divers differently.

Reading the forums will help you with the names. Google, TripAdvisor, and Yelp are worthless because you know nothing about the person posting. "The best dive shop I've ever been too" translates to "The only shop I've ever been too". Before you book a trip, swing on down to divertown. Or like when I go out for sushi; Start at the top and work your way down paying no attention to the name. Something exciting is bound to show up that way :D

Nice surprise. Banyan works fast, arrived on Monday, dealt with moving and new job issues and by Friday, he was ready to go check out the diving. He contacted me Friday and we went for his first FL dives on Saturday! He got his mojo back within about 10 minutes and we have some lovely relaxed warm water dives on Sat. afternoon. We dove with Silent World on the City of Washington and North North Dry Rocks. Fun day!
If you are looking for a local dive buddy, send him a PM.
It was a pleasure and look forward to exploring more of the Keys with you soon.!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom