TSandM: Missing Diver in Clallam County, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without argument, Lynne is the most respected and beloved person on ScubaBoard. As Bob has pointed out and in contrast to almost every other accident detailed here, Lynne was not only prepared: she was probably way over prepared. My heart and my thoughts go out to her and Peter in this time of horrible darkness, but in the spirit of Lynne, she would have wanted us to learn from her accident and yes, probably the biggest take away here is that the sea is a harsh, harsh mistress. Small mistakes or miscalculations can easily have tragic consequences.

My information is that Lynne and Peter hit a downcurrent that pulled them apart. They lost track of each other. Peter surfaced, Lynne did not.

Thank you for that piece of information. As a rather inexperienced rec diver, the prospect of significant downcurrents scare the living daylights out of me. This (assumed) fatality has definitely not changed my opinion on that topic.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Thank you for that piece of information. As a rather inexperienced rec diver, the prospect of significant downcurrents scare the living daylights out of me. This (assumed) fatality has definitely not changed my opinion on that topic.

--

Pulling them apart just means that Peter doesn't know what ultimately happened and wasn't able to possibly provide assistance. The depth isn't unlimited where she was.

Rough unexpected conditions however could make it easy to lose a regulator, get an unexpected gulp of water and drown.

Extreme surge is my main memory of this particular site.

As everyone has pointed out, if this could happen to Lynne it could happen to anyone is probably the lesson here.

Put another way, all of the danger can't be removed from diving.

As everyone has pointed out, if this could happen to Lynne it could happen to anyone is probably the lesson here.

I totally agree. While I'm not particularly experienced under water, I've hiked in mountain areas for some 30 years. To me, the underwater and mountain have something in common: it can be almost as benign as a walk in the park, or it can be completely suicidal. Or anything inbetween. While I'm quite convinced that TSandM was competent enough to realistically evaluate the risks of her undertaking and to make an informed choice, I don't think everybody is. Whether it's above or below water. This fatality is a stern reminder that - as Bob puts it - the ocean is unforgiving. And sometimes downright murderous.

--

Man this has been hard to read and this is hard to ask but I must; What's the max depth that she could have hit if she was caught in a down current at this site? What gas was she using?

Man this has been hard to read and this is hard to ask but I must; What's the max depth that she could have hit if she was caught in a down current at this site? What gas was she using?
If I'm not mistaken the diveable area around Duncan Rock is about 20 metres deep but you don't need to go far before the bottom is about 100 metres deep.

There is also a canyon nearby that I believe is a little over a km deep.

R..

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk

I keep checking back here hoping "they found her and she's alive"!!!! Hard to believe. I had my disagreements with her…and she was right all the time….sometimes i just dive like a stupid cowboy…scuba and free diving…why her? It just makes no sense.

What gas were they using? 32%? If caught in a down current what is the potential depth she could have been carried to in that particular site?

If, as a surface swimmer, you get caught in a rip current, you should not fight the current directly. You will lose that way.

Speculation: She saw the team separation and started to work against it. Hard. As her depth increased, so did narcosis effects exacerbated by the exertion and the excess CO2 it generated. Narcosis caused a narrow focus on a single objective that blinded her to other dangers. We know she was a big advocate of team diving. Focused on reuniting with the team, she unknowingly obviates the dangerous over exertion for a 61 year old heart. She fails to recognize that now the immediacy has shifted away from getting back to your team, to controlling your heart rate and your depth. At this point the immediacy should be to ascend, hopefully without getting arterial gas embolism. The incident spiral is already fully engaged and she may not be aware of it.

I have enormous respect for her. It is not easy to write the above speculation. But it is my interpretation of what she would have like us to be doing now. My speculation can well be the furthest thing away from what really happened. But I believe it was her wish that we explore plausible scenarios and try to learn from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom