How many of you make a habit of picking up trash when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive quite often in Banff National Park. We are not supposed to pick up cans, bottles, and stuff like found underwater because it becomes habitat. There is the obvious stuff that will not be habitat, but the general rule is if it's been there more than 24 hours it stays.

This is a good point I did not think of and I appreciate the reminder. It is something to be mindful of when picking up trash in the water.I also was not aware of rules in certain areas where it is not allowed to pick up trash where some creatures can reside in.

Good point.

If I find beer bottles or cans on the bottom, and I am bored... I clean up the dive site... just invert them, fill with air and send them off to the surface from whence they came.

I do too. During my very first open water training my instructor taught me and a friend to take a piece of garbage for every dive (whenever we can), and it sort became a habit. One time I lost my hairband during a dive and it was later picked up by another diver as "garbage" lol

Definitely worth mentioning. I'll generally try to pick up stuff when diving or paddling locally, for the simple reason that trash attracts more trash. Some people will toss garbage no matter what, but there are many who would be a lot less likely to throw the first piece of trash in an otherwise pristine setting then they would be to add to a mess that was already there. It's like the broken window theory of keeping neighborhoods in nice shape: take care of the little problems as they first occur, and you're a lot less likely to ever have to contend with the big ones.

Thanks for that. I feel the same, I also think that it can inspire others to take part and make it part of their routine as well!

Do I do it? No. Is it worth mentioning--IMHO no. Diver impact on ecology is very minimal. You can clean up a particular spot for asthetics, but it solves next to nothing worldwide--like divers killing lionfish in the Gulf. There is nothing to clean up in Nova Scotia (I did find an old boot once--it's still there). Around the NY where I dive every summer there's lot's of garbage (and that's still there). I may find Jimmy Hoffa some day.... Fugettaboutit....

Do I do it? No. Is it worth mentioning--IMHO no. Diver impact on ecology is very minimal. You can clean up a particular spot for asthetics, but it solves next to nothing worldwide--like divers killing lionfish in the Gulf. There is nothing to clean up in Nova Scotia (I did find an old boot once--it's still there). Around the NY where I dive every summer there's lot's of garbage (and that's still there). I may find Jimmy Hoffa some day.... Fugettaboutit....

Well at least your honest about it, and I see tour point.

While it may be a small step or may seem insignificant on the broader scope. There is a saying that "Many hands make light work". Meaning that large tasks can be accomplished easier when divided among many people. Although at first some things may seem futile or even insignificant, the power of many taking part for a good cause or making an effort gives hope in this area. Picking up some trash on the shore or in the water when it is in my path is the least I can do IMO. It is my way showing respecting and taking care of my play ground.

I see it this way, it could be a lot worse if no one cared.
The impact is small but the message is not. The beginning of any movement is always small after a while it catches on and becomes very impacting.
I sincerely hope you change your mind and take part to help keep our ocean cleaner.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

It's an interesting question, and my answer is "it depends..."
Some trash is just trash and can be removed without harm, and even with positive impact. But the ocean is a soup filled with critters looking for a home, and much of the "trash" we see, especially if it's been down for a while, is someone's condo.
I almost always pick up plastic bags if I can. Most other stuff takes a little thought :)
Rick

Depends on the site and the "Trash". If it looks like it could be a home... even if it is vacant... I leave it. The occupant may be out for lunch and be relying on darting "home" to avoid becoming someone else's lunch!

If it looks like something that can become an entanglement risk or confused with food I try to pick it up. If it looks harmless and could be a "Navigational landmark" I leave it. We have had a few commonly used "landmarks" disappear after a too enthusiastic clean up dive.

The way I see it one plastic bag may not be much on the global scale but mean the life of a turtle or critter. On the global scale one critter's life may seem insignificant but it means a lot to the critter... and to me!

If the example we set changes one other.. that magnifies too!

Worth mentioning..absolutely and thanks for doing so :worship:

Interesting thread! I had not fully appreciated the potential for an item (trash or otherwise) to become habitat until our vacation in Grenada last month.

While snorkelling on the beach, we came across several intact shells of West Indian Sea Eggs. While not trash, one had become home to (what looked to be) two very tiny juvenile doctorfish (each an inch long or less) that could swim into the mouth opening on the bottom of the urchin's shell but were too large to fit through the anal opening on top.

Whether it is trash or otherwise... if you happen to pick something up that turns out to be habitat, please replace it in such a fashion that the occupants' exit remains an exit and does not end up buried in substrate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom