Which agency to choose??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread asks a great question. My facility, and I as an instructor, have taught for a handful of agencies in regard to Public Safety. I must start by saying that over time I have become an instructor trainer for ERDI so I have developed some biased opinions. That being said, ERDI is by far the best I have found. The programs are designed and vetted by pros in the field who are actively working scenes and seeing where issues exist. Similarly, the company is focused on training and team strength rather than gear sales or sideline revenue producers. The biggest factor is that from the beginning, ERDI programs are NFPA and OSHA compliant. In many cases, teams are seeking training programs that maintain an awareness, operations, and technician format. The idea is that someone such as a dispatcher can attend awareness training to better understand a team's needs and how it operates. Team members can then continue on through technician level programs to ensure knowledge and skills practice. I have watched many of the PSD companies and the other major positive factor is that ERDI is growing internally. New personnel have been brought in to expand corporate activities and to support divers and instructors in the field. If I were choosing, ERDI is what I would select, but that's just an opinion.

I have used many different types of schools and agency's. One agency I personally liked is UCI (Underwater Criminal Investigators, Inc) Instructor Mike Berry. www.UCIDiver.com

ERDI by far. The instructors are all experienced professional and have flexibility to teach students for real life PSD operations. They will make you work for your certification so it's not Recreational Diving with an add on specialty, They will work you out,but if your in it for the right reason you will be the best PSD in the field. Your Instructor will be your mentor for life. Remember your Instructor is more important then the card you seek.

I have been through a couple of different agencies. Look at the program and make sure it's geared toward public safety diving. Just because it say's so doesn't mean it. Find out what dive teams in your area use. Try to be compatible with others, so when you get to a scene you can work together. Most of all ,look for safety procedures. If it doesn't feel right don't do it.

I just finished the DRI course earlier this month. The instructors and the hosting agency were excellent. I had my first operational dive clearing a pond in a missing person search two days ago. He was found alive and well yesterday morning.

Our team has used DRI for the past 15 years. We have hosted 4 programs and attended others in the area. They have a great system that really works well. Hosting their programs is a breeze and their corporate trainers are excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom