LP 95 or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in Ventura, CA, and I'm going off of boats mostly out at the Channel Islands. So, I'm diving in a 7 mil with a 5/3 hooded vest. I'm only OW certified, so I'm only diving single tanks.

The 95 would be good as long as you don't mind lugging it up the ladder. You will find you get a a better fill than on an AL80 or a HP100, I always have on the boats down there. It was the tank that made it to every SCUBA outing I made until I picked up a couple of 120's.

Bob

... I prefer HP100s, which are smaller and lighter, but there's nothing wrong with 95s...
... I've dove HP100's and I do like them, but I would prefer a low pressure tank. I'm not looking for doubles. I am going out Thursday on the Peace boat, and will look into the diameter. I knew that might be an issue, but I think the boats here can accomodate.I'm using about 22-25 lbs across all the different tanks I've been diving...Al80, Steel 80, HP100. Zeagle Ranger.
I'm in Ventura, CA, and I'm going off of boats mostly out at the Channel Islands. So, I'm diving in a 7 mil with a 5/3 hooded vest. I'm only OW certified, so I'm only diving single tanks.
The Peace and Spectre don't have trouble filling HP tanks, not sure about some of the other dive boats. The HP100 Lynne referred to is roughly the same dimensions and weight as a LP85, same diameter as an Al80. Wider diameter tanks fit all the local dive boat racks, but are a little less streamlined underwater when you're swimming (larger cross section), so a little more effort swimmingThere's a pretty big difference in buoyancy characteristics between an Al80 and HP100. If you're wearing the same amount of lead for both, either you're overweighted by about 6 pounds with the HP100 or underweighted with the Al80, or somewhere in the middle overweighted with the HP100 and underweighted with the Al80. You didn't say what kind of steel 80. If it's a HP80, they're like a bowling ball on your back and really negative buoyant tanks (more so than a HP100), and you can take off even more lead with them. My tank of choice for local diving is a HP80, which lets me dive with very little lead, are very easy to trim out, and weigh less on the surface when full than just about any other tank. The only downside is they get really hot when filing, so it's harder to get a good fill. Like any HP tank, they are also a bit more susceptible to internal rusting than LP or Al tanks. HP80s are also great tanks for our local beach diving, since less weight means an easier walk across soft sand and/up up a trail or stairsYou said you prefer low pressure, but didn't say why. Harder to get good fills? Easier on your regulator? For our colder water diving, high pressure tanks have a lot of benefits, such as being more compact and generally better buoyancy with thicker exposure protection. Since you're OW certified without many, many dives, are you looking to get more air with you until you get more experience and improve your air consumption? Or do you have enough air and getting cold by the third or fourth dive is the limiting factor in a wetsuit? Or get cold and start using more air? Start with your dive requirements and select a tank based on that, instead of basing your choice on what some DM likes for himself. In general, HP100s (typically Faber unless you find a good used Worthington) are a very popular choice for diving around here and easy to sell if you need/want to

Harder to get good fills? Easier on your regulator? For our colder water diving, high pressure tanks have a lot of benefits, such as being more compact and generally better buoyancy with thicker exposure protection. Since you're OW certified without many, many dives, are you looking to get more air with you until you get more experience and improve your air consumption? Or do you have enough air and getting cold by the third or fourth dive is the limiting factor in a wetsuit? Or get cold and start using more air? Start with your dive requirements and select a tank based on that, instead of basing your choice on what some DM likes for himself. In general, HP100s (typically Faber unless you find a good used Worthington) are a very popular choice for diving around here and easy to sell if you need/want to

Mostly for fills for wanting the low pressure. I'm not sure that HP tanks really affect regulators more so than LP tanks to a noticeable degree, but until I find that out over time for myself, I was erring with caution. Yeah, looking to get more air until I'm more experienced. Becoming cold has not been an issue. Ventura Dive & Sport, Sport Chalet, Channel Islands Scuba ... Al80 or equivalent steel is all anyone rents. WHY?!?! Kind of hard to try before you buy around here.

Mostly for fills for wanting the low pressure. I'm not sure that HP tanks really affect regulators more so than LP tanks to a noticeable degree, but until I find that out over time for myself, I was erring with caution. Yeah, looking to get more air until I'm more experienced. Becoming cold has not been an issue. Ventura Dive & Sport, Sport Chalet, Channel Islands Scuba ... Al80 or equivalent steel is all anyone rents. WHY?!?! Kind of hard to try before you buy around here.

Al80 are the least expensive tank for dive shops to put into rental, and less problem if a diver sucks the tank dry and water gets in. Also, it's really hard for anyone to exceed NDL times with a single 80 cu ft tank, so less potential liability for a dive shop

HP100s are popular because they're basically the same weight as an Al80, you need about 6 lbs less lead because of the tank's buoyancy, and if you only get a 3000 PSI fill it's effectively an 80 cu ft tank. Compare the size of the HP100 to a LP95 and you'll see the HP100 is smaller, so physically easier to move around on land and in the water. Whenever I'm diving somewhere, I always look at what's popular, because that's often a pretty good indication of what works best for the environment. Don't see many LP95s around here? That should tell some something right off the bat.

Some guy in Huntington Beach on the Facebook So Cal Scuba Dive Exchange group has a white Scubapro LP95 listed for $250 (crossposted to Craigslist). Maybe contact him and see if he'll let you try before buying

Water here has been unusually warm, just wait until early spring when it's colder!

Al80 are the least expensive tank for dive shops to put into rental, and less problem if a diver sucks the tank dry and water gets in. Also, it's really hard for anyone to exceed NDL times with a single 80 cu ft tank, so less potential liability for a dive shop

HP100s are popular because they're basically the same weight as an Al80, you need about 6 lbs less lead because of the tank's buoyancy, and if you only get a 3000 PSI fill it's effectively an 80 cu ft tank. Compare the size of the HP100 to a LP95 and you'll see the HP100 is smaller, so physically easier to move around on land and in the water. Whenever I'm diving somewhere, I always look at what's popular, because that's often a pretty good indication of what works best for the environment. Don't see many LP95s around here? That should tell some something right off the bat.

Some guy in Huntington Beach on the Facebook So Cal Scuba Dive Exchange group has a white Scubapro LP95 listed for $250 (crossposted to Craigslist). Maybe contact him and see if he'll let you try before buying

Water here has been unusually warm, just wait until early spring when it's colder!

Do you believe the HP tanks put that much more wear & tear on your regulator?

You are right. The al 80 wquivilants are what is mostly used. when 80% of hte boat is using al80's teh extra air of other tanks goes to waste, all things equal.

Have a great time on the Peace! That's my favorite SoCal dive boat. They don't have any problem managing any sort of tank, or tanks, or scooters, or deco bottles, or . . .

Have a great time on the Peace! That's my favorite SoCal dive boat. They don't have any problem managing any sort of tank, or tanks, or scooters, or deco bottles, or . . .
I've been on the Spectre a couple times, and tomorrow will only be my second time on the Peace. I like the Spectre, but I may like the access to the bunks below more on the Peace. Regardless, I've heard the diving has been really good out there recently, so I'm hopeful. Was only able to get steel 77's for this trip though. :-\

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Maybe for an entry level regulator that hasn't been serviced properly in a long time, or if you have a really questionable high pressure hose, otherwise no

Quote Originally Posted by Ready4Launch

Maybe for an entry level regulator that hasn't been serviced properly in a long time, or if you have a really questionable high pressure hose, otherwise no

That would hold true for any reg, entry level or top of the line.

The only regs I won't use on HP are old vintage regs, most of which were never designed for HP service, and HP gauges that max at 3000#. The strength of the yoke is the most limiting factor.

When my daughter was living in Santa Barbara, she arranged her schedule to take the Peace open boat every Thursday on a 3 tank dive to Anacapa. It's a great trip, relatively inexpensive, a lot of time not full, and almost never canceled.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom