Cirque de Soleil and SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The connection between CdS and our sport is pretty obvious (but hidden) in their Vegas show "O", but if you want to witness their familiarity with the underwater world, the traveling show "Kurios" has some great imagery of our favorite critters.

Three female acrobats are rolled out atop a large "steampunk" mechanical hand. They are Nudibranchs!

Stage right is a pipe organ with a fish in a bowl atop, the left has a SeaHorse in its bowl.

The bounce-net tumblers are surrounded below by acrobats in huge fishtail outfits. Another act features acrobats wearing red touques, an homage to another French diver?

A real appearance of a diver occurs during the most amazing "finger puppet" scene that is based on a fishbowl Ocean...he is followed by a breath hold snorkeler.

For you Aurophiles , the cat on the couch scene is perfection, but I would have expected a reappearance of those acrobats in fish tails as a punch line.

Like most CdS performances, the story line is a bit difficult to follow, but, I'll just say that the "clock" above the stage is a very deep- but momentary reference that may explain it all. Steampunk time travel and compression of two hours into a minute of "real time".

They are in Chicago (8/15) and headed to Costa Mesa, LA, and Atlanta.

Always thought that Cirque de Soliel was too weird to be liked. Seen it twice, regret every time. Some things cannot be unseen, I may have been scared by the experience. Not sure why children are allowed. I don't think I was mentally ready even in my adult years. Whole thing is like a train wreck, too painful to see, yet scared to lose a view of it. Each time I was crossing fingers that I am not going to have nightmares after watching that ****.

Kurios is a remarkably different style than the four others I have seen previously. Far and away the best of "my four".

Maybe they heard you !

For my list of "that which can not be unseen", I list Sigfreid and Roy as #1. Captain & Tenille as a runner up.

Always thought that Cirque de Soliel was too weird to be liked. Seen it twice, regret every time. Some things cannot be unseen, I may have been scared by the experience. Not sure why children are allowed. I don't think I was mentally ready even in my adult years. Whole thing is like a train wreck, too painful to see, yet scared to lose a view of it. Each time I was crossing fingers that I am not going to have nightmares after watching that ****.

why did you go back the second time?

Another act features acrobats wearing red touques, an homage to another French diver?

I don't think Zissou was French....

Reactions: Doc
O was great. I'll have to watch out for Kurios. I'd like to see Toruk, which is inspired by Avatar...which took lots of inspiration from ocean critters too.

There are several styles of shows, while I've liked some more than others I've enjoyed all the ones I've seen. (Find the French clown bits to be boring though.) Don't understand what would be nightmare inducing? Or bad for kids (except Zumanity, but it is Vegas...) No weirder than lots of entertainment/performance art.

Back
Top Bottom