Galileo Luna / Sol dive maps explained please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikelleen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking into a purchase of a wrist mount dive computer and am seriously considering a Galileo Luna or Sol.

One feature I noted was the ability to display maps.

I am wondering a couple of things about this, and after several web searches cannot find much information about this feature.

1) Is this feature something that would be used in practical day to day diving? If you have a Luna / Sol how often have you used this feature?
2) Where do I find the down loadable maps and how much do they cost?
3) Or do I simply scan a picture and load it to the dive computer? If so how detailed is the picture and are there zoom capabilities?

From the lack of Google articles on this feature I am thinking that for practical day to day use, it's probably not used by many, but I'd like some feedback.

Also, what diving algorithms are used / supported? I am new to dive computers and know there are many algorithms in use by modern dive computers, so any information on this is also appreciated.

I'm just a user but IMO it's a useless gimmick. You upload a picture file and that becomes your map. It's low res, and there isn't any kind of gps like assistance provided. It's just a static image. I believe you upload it with scubapro's smarttrak software (comes free with the computer).

As for algorithms and other details, you can download and read the manual before you buy to help you decide. It is really a very capable computer. The only negative thing I can say about mine is the display is hard to read in the dark. The integrated backlight is not sufficient.

Download the manual here: http://www.scubapro.com/media/101606/galileo_luna_eng.pdf

You load a low resolution JPEG image into it to use as a map.

It's useless.

-Adrian

I have a Galileo Sol and an Underwater Slate, Guess which one I use. :D
But Seriously I have only ever seen one person use the map feature and I was not impressed, the screen is too low res.

I have a Sol and use it as my primary OW computer- love the large screen and monochrome display yields excellent battery life. The JPG feature, however, is completely useless for the reason described above. Far better off printing the map on waterproof paper and adding to your wet notes.

To read the display in the dark as in a night dive, I set the display to the light version, i.e. large numerals, and also set the backlight to push on/push off and I just set the backlight on for the duration of the dive.

Also I replaced the plastic display protector with a Zagg screen protector. Given those three I find the display quite good for night diving.

when i had my Sol, i played with that feature quite a bit. 'twas useless. i have since sold my Sol and though i miss some things about it....the map feature is not one.

Back
Top Bottom