silver or black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

froggie01

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I wish to get a go pro for filming topside and underwater. Could anyone who's used the silver model tell me if you can use the touchscreen under water? Also has anyone used the polarpro filters? Are they any good?

I've seen a few videos on youtube from both models and it seems for the occasional dive, the silver would be sufficient.

Also has anyone used their go pro to shoot macro subjects? I know there is a lens available but I wonder if you can put it on/off underwater.

Thanks for reading and replying!

forggie

With the dive backdoor you cannot use the touchscreen they include a soft backdoor that can be used at snorkeling depths. I did see some people using the touch backdoor while diving but not sure to what depth.

Black or silver? If you need 4k30 or 2.7k60, go for black. Otherwise, buy silver, save some 100$ and get the touchscreen for free.

And as has been said, you can't use the touchscreen with the standard housing. Which is the one you'll be using when you dive.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Black or silver? If you need 4k30 or 2.7k60, go for black. Otherwise, buy silver, save some 100$ and get the touchscreen for free.

And as has been said, you can't use the touchscreen with the standard housing. Which is the one you'll be using when you dive.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

+1 What he said!

The Hero 4 silver is my second GoPro. When I bought it the prices for 4k displays were high and places where I was able to upload 4k content were not as prevalent as they are now. And while things have changed a bit I'd still make the same choice.

If I wanted to shoot 4k I'd look for a different solution.

Last edited:
Black has 1080p at 120fps. Silver is 60fps.
For diving, 120fps isn't a great thing. Yes, you can slow-mo things to a stand still if you want, but for 120fps to work without tons of noise (forced high ISO), you need bright sunlight.

For diving, 120fps isn't a great thing. Yes, you can slow-mo things to a stand still if you want, but for 120fps to work without tons of noise (forced high ISO), you need bright sunlight.

Yes, but GoPro's work on land too... ;p

Just depends on what the OP wants to do. I bought a Black over Silver because I plan to use it more on land than in the water. On land, I can always use the app to see what I'm shooting.

Thank you all for the replies. Having watched some black versus silver comparison on youtube I'm going to go for silver due to better battery life, similarity of video and photo quality, LCD display.

froggie

am going for the black version 4K is much better also I already got my laptop and my large screen support 4K . the battery life isn't that big issue
you can always get extra batteries with you since they only costs 19$ for each or third party brand like the smatree brand which cost 21$ for 2 batteries and a charger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom