Open water certification in CFL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikole

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, I live in Orlando, I'm new to diving could anyone recommend me a good dive shop or class. To get cert through??
Ive looked at scuba world, divers direct (too pricey...), and I did a Google search and found scuba lessons Jax, and they do their course in 1 weekend, and it's 1 fee. The other shops have the one fee, plus renting the tanks, boat trips books... Any suggestions? I prefer to be certified under Padi. I am open to doing a course that is not in Orlando as well, to give me more options.

don't be hung up on PADI. the key is to find a good instructor regardless of what agency they use.
we have some great instructors here on the treasure coast though it is probably a bit far for you! :(

If you are attracted to a course that can be done in one weekend; perhaps you have found your perfect match. It would be worth your time to make some phone calls and speak to a few Instructors.

So your objective isn't to learn to be a good diver... just to get it over with quickly and cheap? Unfortunately there are a lot of "professionals" who will be happy to help you meet that objective.

MB:
So your objective isn't to learn to be a good diver... just to get it over with quickly and cheap? Unfortunately there are a lot of "professionals" who will be happy to help you meet that objective.

I don't really trust the cheap 1 weekend one. Sounds too bizarre. The two weeks still sounds rushed to me. I took scuba in college as an elective looong time ago - a whole semester of scuba - so 2 weeks of scuba that many places are doing sounds odd to me, let alone 1 week.
So I'm willing to travel for a. Good scuba course. So, any suggestions? I've been shopping around all summer and am kind of the ready to make a decision by now. Anything you suggest?

BTW the one week course was just $300 total. the other places are $300 plus books plus Park fees (devil's Den or lake denton, boat trip) plus gear rental (basically $600 after you finish.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

Not far at all... If I can do water sports on a saturday in the Atlantic
And head over to the Gulf the next day then treasure coast wouldn't be an issue. Just as long as it's on the weekend, or during the evening if there are any classes during the week.

---------- Post added August 5th, 2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

We did call and ask questions, checked out the website it sounds very well organized and laid out just a bit too rushed, for scuba.
I've seen a few pictures of the students and saw their promo video... Accidentally ran across them on Groupon... I don't feel good about that once. I was kind of hoping that someone here was know about them and maybe tell me something. At least with them, I will not have to go out on a boat, on a possibly Windy day.

Nikole - When you call a shop... ask a lot of questions... It already sounds like you're doing it. I teach out of Hatts in Melbourne... Their class is $299 all inclusive (sort of)... You still have to buy your personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, surface marker), and you still have to travel to Avon Park and West Palm for the certification dives. They do teach a class over 2 weekends, but I refuse to teach that class. You don't get enough in water time... My next class starts 1 September... It's a Tuesday/Thursday class, and it runs for 3 weeks. Two classroom evenings and four pool evenings. The last weekend is spent in Lake Denton and West Palm. That's the last class I'm teaching this year... I'm a WWW instructor.... Warm Water Wimp...

You'll find a lot of shops have a price for the class, then they zap you big bucks for the books... Oh yes! They charge you extra to teach you tables... Then they'll charge you a boat fee... and a facility fee... and... whatever else they can zing you for.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom