First real boat dive coming up – Log questions…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log dives and have them signed by anybody. Most of them should be stamped.
For European style club or independent diving, that's kinda difficult. Less than 10% of the entries in my logbook are stamped. Because there's no-one who's able to stamp the log entry. Personally, I like to record the name of my buddy and have them sign the log entry, though.

I've become more diligent in logging details of my dives as time has passed. I've found that the more details I put down, the more fun it is to re-read my log and reminiscence about what I did and saw, and what goof-ups I made, on a particular dive. Also, I've found that keeping track of exposure protection (and weighting) is kinda useful. So my log entries have gone from the bare minimum technical details to longer essays filling up all available space on the log book page.

The stamps are a marking ploy and funsie fluff. There are many traveling and diving divers that have never seen a dive stamp in their life. The lack of any market for counterfeit dive logs is also a good indication that they are not an official document.
Use common sense. A logbook can be faked (a colossal waste of effort, but no difficult trick), it can also be written in any one of a hundred langauges (you think we maintain sepate internation versions of our logbooks in English or French?). How could it possibly be a necessary document?

I wasn't doubting it--I had heard that as well.

In any event, if that dive op's web site is correct (and I wouldn't count on it), then a single logbook page showing a dive within the past six months might just meet the letter of the law, as it doesn't explicitly say you need to have a log book with multiple dives logged. It says: "The proof [of a dive within the last six months] should be on a log book not a diving computer." So you present them with one logbook page that is arguably "on" your logbook that you didn't bring along in its entirety. I might also ask what "should be" means. Does that mean "must be"? All of this is completely silly, and it wouldn't surprise me if dive ops skirt the regulations when it suits them.

All of this is completely silly, and it wouldn't surprise me if dive ops skirt the regulations when it suits them.

I'm not saying that I agree with the law. I'm in full agreement with you that someone could easily skirt this (both the dive operator as well as a diver who wanted to avoid taking a refresher dive).

I was simply responding to the question raised earlier in the thread asking where it is required to show a log book. I have been asked to show mine of several occasions in the past.

I was simply responding to the question raised earlier in the thread asking where it is required to show a log book. I have been asked to show mine of several occasions in the past.

Somewhere other than Israel? Where? In a post above, Freewillow says he's been asked to show a logbook in Raja Ampat, Egypt, French Polynesia and the Maldives. Got any to add besides Israel?

It says: "The proof [of a dive within the last six months] should be on a log book not a diving computer."

So evidently they think you'd have someone take your computer for a dive without you to get a recent dive on it but wouldn't write a false entry (or 20) into a paper log... That's priceless.

Tippy, if we ever dive together on the Black/White Manta, I would be delighted to stamp your dive log. Then I will be in your collective memory of lovely dives in Indonesia.

I still log my dives....soon to do number 400....we are occasionally asked on liveaboards and in resort's.but mainly my husband and I use them as diaries of our diving. It's good to recheck if we go back to an area. It's also good to check what weight we needed then and now and our air consumption , as well as what we saw.

Like a previous poster we try to catch up with guide after dinner or on the way back on the boat ....it's so easy to forget what you have seen.

You will regret it if you don't get into a habit of doing this.

Best fishes xx

Back
Top Bottom