Recommended time to check in at Point Lobos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

Assuming we have a reservation, is it recommended to check in as early as possible at Point Lobos? The website says you can do it from 8AM to 7PM and has a note about the last allowed check in.
The main thing I'm thinking of is availability of parking at the Whaler's Cove parking lot. Is it like the Breakwater and other shore diving sites where you need to get there early to get a spot?

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

Parking can be an issue, so I always try to get there between 8 & 8:30.

The fire department was doing zodiac drills there yesterday (Friday) and their two trucks took up a lot of room. When we left around noon the entire park was blocked to vehicle entry.

The earlier the better. On weekends the lineup to get in the gate starts well before they open for the day.

-Adrian

I've never had problems getting parking at Whaler's cove when arriving at or before 8:30am. Yesterday, there was parking all day.

On a busy day, parking gets pretty tight by 9am.

You can probably find a place to wedge in almost any time of day so I wouldn't let the question of finding the best parking place be the determinant. Instead, I would pay attention to the tide tables the day you are going and try to avoid full low tide. The boat ramp is fairly nasty at full low tide. (I fell there a few years ago and broke a shoulder, a painful reminder to me of just how nasty that boat ramp can be.) Often, I go there and end up with a so-so parking spot. But by the time I'm geared up somebody in a better spot has left and I can grab it before I get in the water. The tides should really be a bigger factor in when you go than what parking space you can grab.

Bruce

You can probably find a place to wedge in almost any time of day so I wouldn't let the question of finding the best parking place be the determinant. Instead, I would pay attention to the tide tables the day you are going and try to avoid full low tide. The boat ramp is fairly nasty at full low tide. (I fell there a few years ago and broke a shoulder, a painful reminder to me of just how nasty that boat ramp can be.) Often, I go there and end up with a so-so parking spot. But by the time I'm geared up somebody in a better spot has left and I can grab it before I get in the water. The tides should really be a bigger factor in when you go than what parking space you can grab.

Bruce

Have you noticed a correlation between vis and tide at Lobos?

I do agree with you that getting in and out at low tide ups the pucker factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom