Dipping my toes in the water.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the previous posts, try to get some dives in before the trip.

How are you in terms of equipment? You may want to consider purchasing the basics like a wetsuit, mask, and fins... and perhaps an entry level computer to track your Nitrogen loading over several dives and days on the liveabaord.

You can hold off on purchasing a reg and BC and rent for the time being until you get a better ideas of what your preferences are and what's out there, but I think owning jut some of the basics will allow you to have a little consistency and enjoy your dives a little more.

Thanks dmoore - great to hear Aqua Cat is a good choice :) I'm going on my own so am hoping for lots of nice friendly people to share my trip with!

Tina, Nasser - I agree some dives before I go would be a good idea. Trying to fit a pool refresher in and possibly a couple of shore dives. I'm living in Copenhagen at the moment so the diving looks like it'll be a bit different from my first experiences on the GBR, but that's part of the fun I guess!

As for equipment, I have a nice mask and snorkel at the moment but was going to get some fins and possibly a thin wetsuit. I'd not really thought seriously about a computer as I was intending to rent one on the boat. If you have any recommendations for decent fins or even the computer I'd really welcome them

I appreciate your input guys :D

As for equipment, I have a nice mask and snorkel at the moment but was going to get some fins and possibly a thin wetsuit. I'd not really thought seriously about a computer as I was intending to rent one on the boat. If you have any recommendations for decent fins or even the computer I'd really welcome them

I appreciate your input guys :D

For fins these are an excellent choice and have become classics:

Mares Avanti Quattro

https://www.mares.com/products/fins/open-heel/avanti-quattro-/5652/?region=eu

Don't forget thought that you will need booties for these.

As for computers, If you can rent then that's also a good option and you don't have to rush into any purchases if you don't want to.

For recommendations there are quite a few options for a decent entry level computer. Look at Aeris, Suunto, Mares, Oceanic, Scubapro/Uwatec... and I'm sure there are a few others that can be recommended. Don't worry about getting something too expensive or more than you need like a multi-gas tech computer... you don't need it right now and there's no point in paying so much for one. Just get something that fits your needs and budget for the time being and has a user interface that you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom