Shark almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd love to know why all of these people were just standing there with their thumbs up their asses. The shark obviously was in distress and these people are just sitting there watching this poor thing slowly die.

Why did the people not approach a Great White Shark on a beach? Two words for you: Darwin. Award. Nobody wants to achieve internet immortality that way.

Why did the people not approach a Great White Shark on a beach? Two words for you: Darwin. Award. Nobody wants to achieve internet immortality that way.

So you'd just let him lay there and die?? I

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So you'd just let him lay there and die?? I

No, I would probably call for help, probably by calling the harbormaster, and if I'm lucky, there is a shark expert in the area tagging sharks. Then, I would try to find a bucket to throw water on the shark while I waited.

Last edited:
No, I would probably call for help, probably by calling the harbormaster, and if I'm lucky, there is a shark expert in the area tagging sharks. Then, I would try to find a bucket to throw water on the shark while I waited.
Lol ok

as a last resort, enlist the help of a few people to try and drag the shark to the water by hand.

Up to here I was with you. My answer to this is no way. I used to do some pier fishing in my distant past and sharks were sometimes caught. I have been involved in some of these landings using ropes on gaff hooks. Even then I have seen the hooks thrown and the fish hard to control even if they did not throw the hook. I really doubt that folks with bare hands are going to be able to keep a hold of the shark. Picture I see is eager beavers slipping in soft sand, shark throwing off hands, body parts landing near shark's mouth. Body parts removed.

I have seen folks heading to first aid with blood streaming down their hands from not being careful when handling a 1 pound bluefish.

Remember the first rule of any rescue. Do not increase the number of casualties.

Up to here I was with you. My answer to this is no way. I used to do some pier fishing in my distant past and sharks were sometimes caught. I have been involved in some of these landings using ropes on gaff hooks. Even then I have seen the hooks thrown and the fish hard to control even if they did not throw the hook. I really doubt that folks with bare hands are going to be able to keep a hold of the shark. Picture I see is eager beavers slipping in soft sand, shark throwing off hands, body parts landing near shark's mouth. Body parts removed.

I have seen folks heading to first aid with blood streaming down their hands from not being careful when handling a 1 pound bluefish.

Remember the first rule of any rescue. Do not increase the number of casualties.
I agree with what you said, honestly I do, but why not try and tie a rope to the tail and then enlist people to help drag him in the water, by then hopefully someone in a boat could take it to recessitate it?

I interpreted nimoh's comment of "if that failed" to mean if you could not find a rope. I have spent many an hour on beaches and there is often no rope anywhere within sight.

I will also point out that if you drag the shark into the water with a rope the situation is then

shark in water, rope is still on tail, and you are between the shark and deeper water. Not ideal. That is why they used a boat. The longer the rope the deeper you are and the less able to get traction. Also better know how to tie the right kind of knot.

I interpreted nimoh's comment of "if that failed" to mean if you could not find a rope. I have spent many an hour on beaches and there is often no rope anywhere within sight.

I will also point out that if you drag the shark into the water with a rope the situation is then

shark in water, rope is still on tail, and you are between the shark and deeper water. Not ideal. That is why they used a boat. The longer the rope the deeper you are and the less able to get traction. Also better know how to tie the right kind of knot.
Yes but that Shark (as you can see in the videos) was so out of it in the water, there was no way he had enough energy 1) to whip around and thrash 2) to bite someone. And surely someone would have rope in they're truck. I know I do at all times.

---------- Post added July 29th, 2015 at 01:39 PM ----------

Great White Shark Rescue on the Beach - YouTube

yes, I agree. I was thinking that I might handle the shark by hand after being sure that it was out of energy (and other better options didn't pan out).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom