What do you look for in a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would really like a shear with titanium or high grade stainless but with a solid pin and a full tang or simply all metal, no plastic handles. I have had shears fail, handles snapping off and the rivet failing as well. They are just not trustworthy.

N

If you're in an area where wire leader might be a problem, go to Ace or Home Depot and pick up a cheapy pair of wire cutters. Shears are designed for cutting fabric off a trauma victim and then get pitched in the biohazard bin. They happen to work for many cutting tasks underwater, but I wouldn't want them to be my go-to if wire leader is involved (for the reasons you mentioned). Especially since wire cutters are plentiful and inexpensive. The caveat is that wire cutters generally suck for cutting other things, like cave line or webbing, so they're pretty much a single purpose tool. Easy to drill a hole and attach a bolt snap with some cave line and keep them in a pocket.

Wire cutters $13

Twice the cost of bare trauma shears from Dive Gear Express, or 10 bucks cheaper if you get the Dive Rite shears with the harness and velcro.

A big ass knife would work just as poorly as a trilobite in that situation.

Really? Man, if only I had explicitly suggested something that would work so much better than a trilobite in that situation...like shears.

If I were diving somewhere that it was a possibility...

Like anywhere in the ocean that fishing happens?

If you're in an area where wire leader might be a problem, go to Ace or Home Depot and pick up a cheapy pair of wire cutters. Shears are designed for cutting fabric off a trauma victim and then get pitched in the biohazard bin. They happen to work for many cutting tasks underwater, but I wouldn't want them to be my go-to if wire leader is involved (for the reasons you mentioned). Especially since wire cutters are plentiful and inexpensive. The caveat is that wire cutters generally suck for cutting other things, like cave line or webbing, so they're pretty much a single purpose tool. Easy to drill a hole and attach a bolt snap with some cave line and keep them in a pocket.

Wire cutters $13

Twice the cost of bare trauma shears from Dive Gear Express, or 10 bucks cheaper if you get the Dive Rite shears with the harness and velcro.

I have about a dozen of those. But I do not carry them for diving. They rust up very quickly. I do have a pair of pliers, nice stainless construction, I got them some years ago at the Bass Pro in Destin, Florida. They came with a nylon sheath and are meant to cut the leader while catch and release fishing. I have considered carrying them while diving.

And while on the subject of shears, a modification, if you cut a Vee shaped notch in the inner portion of the upper blade it will grab the leader and allow the lower scissor to cut it. Without the notch the wire leader just tends to slip down the scissor blades as they are closed or to squish between the scissor blades snapping the hinge rivet.

N

I use a ground down Betty Crocker steak knife on my waisbelt, Dir standard... I've used it quite a few times over the years and it still cuts great. As a back up I keep a pair of trauma shears in my pocket and recently added a trilobyte next to the steak knife.

Really? Man, if only I had explicitly suggested something that would work so much better than a trilobite in that situation...like shears.

Like anywhere in the ocean that fishing happens?

I'm not disagreeing with you. And I offered alternatives as well. Not sure where the angst is coming from. Chill out homie.

Hello; Could any of you guy do a review on the IST Titanium Knife? Is the beta titanium really better than usual titanium knife? Thanks

Not a review of the IST Titanium knife, but I'll throw my $.02 in here...

I prefer the 4.5" Victorinox utility knife, with a serrated edge. Comes in a bunch of colors and are about $4. Fits in a Mag Light sheath, or you can make your own from webbing. Break the tip off if you want, or buy the rounded tip version. Won't rust and will stay sharp forever, zips through any sort of entanglement you're likely to encounter underwater. Very popular with commercial fisherman in Alaska - you'll find them on every crewmember's waistband, and another dozen stashed in various places on deck. Have been used to settle more than one bar brawl.

vicky.jpg

My priority is Titanium... I have used SS and other steels and none were as good as Ti. You can pick up a cheap Ti folder off ebay and just put it in a pouch on any strap or one of the Blue Tang designs for a strap on (and it comes apart for cleaning). I also have a custom Ti CNC combat and a folding Spyderco H-1 but haven't used either in extensive diving. I used standard Kbars, Camillus and Glock knives, with Glock the strongest during military service, but ALL rust and with handles that can't be removed to thoroughly clean, even though they have and hold a sharp edge. I've also used many SS dive knives Dacor, Scuba Pro, etc... with the Taiwan Stilletto design with holes in the handle the best, cause it can be cleaned and sharpened - but rusts. I also bought a Ti coated knife, but where it is sharpened, the steel rusts. For the more skilled, you can buy Ti bars off ebay and grind your own knife, but solid Ti is the key to a great dive knife at reasonable price.

Ti knife. $25 w/sheath. Appears to be the same as a ScubaPro one that I saw for around $70.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-titanium-tek-dive-knife-w-waistbelt-sheath

I have one of these. I plan to order another. I used a leather hole punch to put holes in the sheath in the corners. I put some bungee through the holes and it makes for a very secure, very low profile forearm accessory. I will put the second one on my calf. I have had mine in the Atlantic for 9 dives now (I think?), starting about a month ago, and no signs of rust yet.

I have an Eezycut on the waist belt on one side and trauma shears on the waist belt on the other side. Yes, I am just a little paranoid about getting entangled and not being able to reach a suitable cutting device. Well, and these are cheap and super low profile...

Anyone consider using a ceramic knife? I was thinking of using a small paring knife in a webbing sheath. Too sharp? Anyone try one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom