3 Discovery dives - Just completed PADI - OW Cert. Should I get Nitrox Cert now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No reason to wait to actually take the class, but you'll probably not benefit that much from spending more money on Nitrox fills at your current experience.

I'm not sure what you're air consumption is like, but if you're not going close to your NDLs frequently, then Nitrox might not be that beneficial for the cost. Plus, if you're staying above 60ft depth, then it's not that likely that you'll reach your NDLs. Your air intake will get better as you get in more dives.

But since the Nitrox cert is just a class, no reason not to get it now if you want to dive Nitrox in the future.

It's not just a class. It's also money :)
Just found out I need some repairs to my car so Nitrox will have to wait.

The safety factor mentioned above is what I was referring to. I would dive nitrox to air tables in order to reduce the risk of DCS.

The official statement in the texts regarding nitrox and safety is that it provides no additional safety.

Pushed to the NDLs, the safety factor is the same. Some people have pointed out that you do have an additional safety factor if you dive nitrox but follow an air profile, but if you follow the math on that, you will see that the benefit is negligible. The percentage of NDL dives leading to DCS is a tiny fraction of 1%. Diving nitrox with an air profile will reduce that tiny fraction of 1% by an even smaller percentage. Since in about half the DCS casesare unexplained and happen with divers with the NDS, that tiny advantage is even more suspect.

On recreational dives, I dive nitrox to extend my bottom time and because I am one of those people who believes he is less tired when a whole lot of such dives on multiple days, even though there is no research to support that belief. The increased safety margin of diving nitrox with an air profile is so miniscule that I would never consider it.

If you dive within the recommended depth limitations of an OW diver, and you do only two dives per day and not day after day, Nitrox would probably have offered you little advantage, anyway. And the point about gas consumption limiting your dives, rather than deco, is a good one.

It's a good class, mostly theory, but has you go through some good gas calculations. You can take it at any time.

It's not just a class. It's also money :)
Just found out I need some repairs to my car so Nitrox will have to wait.

The safety factor mentioned above is what I was referring to. I would dive nitrox to air tables in order to reduce the risk of DCS.
The risk of DCS is so remote with air as long as you do not exceed NDL and watch your ascent rate, do safety stops, it is not going to happen. Using nitrox statistically does not lessen the risk. If anything you can be more at risk using your computer incorrectly by setting it for air while actually using nitrox as your oxygen exposure is not taken into account. You also lose any alarm that the computer may have if you exceed your max operating depth.

I just completed my PADI Open Water certification this weekend. Prior to that I have done 3 discovery dives in Cozumel. In July I will be going on a cruise. On 4 of the 5 stops I will be making 2 tank dives with the Cruise Excursions.
I am considering Nitrox certification for the increased safety factor (not increased bottom time) Is there any reason I should wait until I have more dives under my belt?
My thinking for you here.
Any increase in your knowledge base is always a good thing. BUT
1) Unless you have been assured by the dive op at the port that they have Nitrox then it may be academic and you feel its a waste of time.
2) Im not sure what "extra safety" you are referring to given you are at this stage planning 2 tank dives from the ship with no flytime issues.
Please don't misunderstand me. There are advantages to Nitrox but I can't see them for your planned diving.
I'd suggest you would get more benefit from doing at least the Peak performance buoyancy,deep and navigation portion of your advanced course.

sorry wabbit--didn't notice it was a big thread dredge.

Wow someone dug deep to get this one out of the basement ;-)

You don't need to pay extra for Nitrox. If you are diving shallow (less than 60ft) you don't get a lot more bottom time, considering your excursions will have a time limit anyway. Take AOW first.

Back
Top Bottom