Diver missing on Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
http://www.ack.net/AndreaDoriadivermissing072115.html
(July 21, 2015) The U.S. Coast Guard is reporting a missing diver near the wreck site of the Italian luxury liner Andrea Doria 58 miles south of Nantucket.

Petty officer Cindy Oldham of Coast Guard First District in Boston said the 64-year-old male diver off the boat John Jack out of Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., was reported missing around 2:14 p.m. The diver, whose name was not released, is wearing black dive gear, and mariners are asked to keep a sharp lookout and report any sightings to the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard cutter Juniper, patrol boat Chinook, a fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter have been dispatched to the area to assist in the search.

The Andrea Doria sank July 26, 1956, 11 hours after a collision with the Swedish American Line's Stockholm. While 1,660 passengers were rescued, 46 people died.

Sixteen divers have lost their lives diving on the wreck, and conditions at the wreck site are treacherous.

Oh crap. That's the trip I was planning to go on, but I gave the spot to a buddy of mine. They could have easily gotten the age wrong by a few years. I am hoping and praying.

my friends are on this trip, trying to find out who this is, and I am praying they find the person floating with his lift bag waiting for someone to pick him up.

praying

My profile pic is from my last trip to the Doria... its a beautiful wreck but wicked strong currents.

I've not been in the water for quite some time nor on Scubaboard. Hoping to change that soon and decided to logon to SB. Not good news I hope this turns out OK. Prayers......

Crap. That's Sharky's charter, isn't it?

From the actual Coast Guard news release :

Crew aboard the commercial diving boat John Jack notified Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England watchstanders Tuesday at about 1 p.m. reporting the man did not resurface from his dive. An Air Station Cape Cod HC-144 Casa air crew was immediately diverted and on scene within three minutes of the initial report. Another diver confirmed being with the missing man at their 20-foot decompression stop, then did not see him upon reaching the surface.

"Sixteen divers have lost their lives diving on the wreck, and conditions at the wreck site are treacherous."

sad news again.

Back
Top Bottom