Cheap video lights Archon or Brinyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at getting 2 cheap video lights. It looks like probably the Archon d11v or Brinyte div05V

Anybody recommend one over the other?

Thanks

I can't seem to find specs regarding the Brinyte div05V's beam width. I imagine as a video version it should be somewhat wide but can't know for sure. Since the GoPro has a wide FOV, a single Archon D11V could suffice since it's beam width is around 110-120 degrees if I remember correctly. If the Brinyte has a narrower beam it may require 2 lights to cover the GoPro FOV.

I have a pair of Archon D11V's and have used them for a couple years with zero issues. Great light for the price. There is even mounting hardware already available for it from Snake River Prototyping (SRP).

I can't seem to find specs regarding the Brinyte div05V's beam width. I imagine as a video version it should be somewhat wide but can't know for sure. Since the GoPro has a wide FOV, a single Archon D11V could suffice since it's beam width is around 110-120 degrees if I remember correctly. If the Brinyte has a narrower beam it may require 2 lights to cover the GoPro FOV.

I have a pair of Archon D11V's and have used them for a couple years with zero issues. Great light for the price. There is even mounting hardware already available for it from Snake River Prototyping (SRP).

One single Archon D11V will not cover the whole frame if the GoPro is in wide mode, see the unlit corners:

archon coverage.jpg

My plan is to get 2 lights, I know 1 won't cover it.
I'm actually not using a Gopro. I have an Intova sport hd2 which has a 140 degree view.

Sounds like people here have experience with the Archon lights, so I think I'll get them.

two lights should be sufficient... i have two lights on my gopro and it works fine

two lights should be sufficient... i have two lights on my gopro and it works fine

That really depends on which lights you're talking about.

When I use two Sola 1200's... they are usually sufficient.
When I use two Archon D11V's... they are usually not.

That's why I use them together...

GoProRig2.png

I use two D11Vs. I have no complaints. Here's my latest video: [youtubehq]xJlVMrW4CfQ[/youtubehq]

That really depends on which lights you're talking about. When I use two Sola 1200's... they are usually sufficient. When I use two Archon D11V's... they are usually not.That's why I use them together...
GoProRig2.png
Yeah, it depends on your intentions with the lights. I use my D11V's for night dives and macro. It handles those tasks fine. If your going to want to illuminate things at a moderate distance ahead of you during broad daylight, it may not be up to the task. The sunlight is hard to beat.

^^agreed... in daylight my subjects are usually no more than 4 feet away if i'm using light... any further than that and the light just doesn't reach to matter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom