New to California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitsoonee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Scubaboard!

Just moved from Hilo, Hawaii to California. I got certified about two years ago in Hawaii, but never really dove that much because I was more into freediving. Now that I'm back on the mainland, the SCUBA bug bit me hard and I feel the urge to return to the ocean.

I will probably be in and around the Monterey area as soon as I get settled. It won't take much to get me into the water!

Jim

Welcome! That said, approach diving here very cautiously. This ain't Hawaii.

The diving here is great, but much more demanding. Doing the things you did in Hawaii is way harder with more weight, restrictive exposure protection and significantly lower visibility.

Find experienced locals to dive with or hire a professional to teach you cold water diving.

Here is a link to more info. New Monterey Diver Information

Hope to see you around. (I just returned from diving The Big Island, including at Leleiwi in Hilo.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Welcome to Cali and ScubaBoard!

Great advice above. Check out the forums here for more info. Nor Cal, and my favorite So Cal ( because you Nor Cal divers always seem to make your way down south to dive with us) :)

Welcome! That said, approach diving here very cautiously. This ain't Hawaii.

The diving here is great, but much more demanding. Doing the things you did in Hawaii is way harder with more weight, restrictive exposure protection and significantly lower visibility.

Find experienced locals to dive with or hire a professional to teach you cold water diving.

Here is a link to more info. New Monterey Diver Information

Hope to see you around. (I just returned from diving The Big Island, including at Leleiwi in Hilo.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Thanks for the informative links and advice! I have lots of respect for the ocean usually go with a local guide or join a tour before I feel comfortable with a diving location. It will probably take some time to get used to wearing a thick 7mm suit, but I am excited to explore the kelp forests! :)

howdy and welcome from south Florida.....keep us inform of your transition.

Welcome! If you ever make it down to Ventura, Santa Barbara or LA hit me up. I know a lot of great dive boats and Im always looking for a dive buddy myself.

Welcome. The grass isn't greener here, but the water is. :D

You might want to try out a drysuit from the git-go if you're settling in Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom