Religion and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The contradictions begin in Genesis with differing versions of creation, and continue throughout the entire sorry document. The Old Testament is a collection of texts written by many different authors over several centuries, strung together in a manner that was dictated by political and theological considerations. The various texts were written by, about, and for the Hebrew people. It's equivalent to a history of the Inquisition written by Torquemada, or an explanation of events leading to the recent invasion of Iraq written by Cheney. Fundamentally worthless.

I can recommend this

"Good thing that humans do have conscience, empathy and have the capability to think about this kind of stuff!"

As I might expect of those descended from one whom, though fallen, was made in God's image.
Oh. So morality is a product of our own and wasn't given to us by some deity. Or even worse, is at the whim of whatever this deity wills to be moral. Interesting!

The Christian moral system was given to us by God. The fact that humanity, descending from one created in His image, and needing such a system devised similar teachings even in other cultures, in no way undermines that.

Right, just like Homer's Odyssey is a report of a body of evidence that demonstrates the existence of Zeus, sirens and cyclopses. Or just like the Bhagavad Gita is evidence for Shiva and Vishnu.

Just as bogus articles in science journals and fictitious Discovery Channel documentaries (e.g.: on dragons) don't invalidate science journals or documentaries in general, the presence of Homer's popular fiction has no more relevance to Biblical credibility than finding an issue of a Spiderman comic book does today.

Richard.

I can recommend this
Now you've done it. Prepare to be cast into the outer darkness, into the fiery pit, into Gehenna with all the fallen rebellious angels (and their flags). G-d has no sense of humor when you come right down to it. He is a wrathful jealous G-d who dislikes being characterized as a bully who provides people with the ability to reason but then dooms them to eternal perdition if they use it in ways that he does not like.

And it's up to you to figure out exactly what he likes and dislikes, and, according to some, if you are not born again or washed in the blood of the lamb or have failed to accept Jesus as your personal savior all the good intentions in the world will not get you into heaven. You'd better figure out exactly what He has in mind, maybe send some money to a televangilist, just to make sure.

This reminds me of several lawyer jokes and doctor jokes and G_d jokes, but I'd better watch my step.

OK, just one, in abbreviated form: a person newly admitted to Heaven is told that in Heaven everyone is equal. While standing on the Heavenly cafeteria line someone walks ahead, cuts in front of everyone, and is served immediately.

"I thought we were all equal! Who was that?"

"oh, that's God. Sometimes he likes to pretend he's a doctor."

I would never understand why atheists always seek to ridicule religion and God... If you don't believe in it fine that's your right/choice...

Why go there...

Anyways... Logically speaking... If there is a God and believing in him gave you external bliss... So you live your life believing in him while being a good person... Just as any atheist... You die and find out God is not real... Oh well you lose nothing

An atheist however... Dies and realises that maybe there is a God... I think he has more to lose...

If I die and God isn't real... Oh well... You die and God is real... What next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doctormike, I'm interested in learning your assumption about me and thus where I fall on your list. :)

No way! Totally blinded study. HIPAA, and all that. :D

But feel free to do your own analysis and see if you come up with the same results...

I would never understand why atheists always seek to ridicule religion and God... If you don't believe in it fine that's your right/choice...

Why go there...

Anyways... Logically speaking... If there is a God believing in him gave you external bliss... So you live your life believing in him while being a good person... Just as any atheist... You die and find out God is not real... Oh well you lose nothing

An atheist however... Dies and realises that maybe there is a God... I think he has more to lose...

If I die and God isn't real... Oh well... You die and God is real... What next
homerswager.jpg

And choosing no God?... What's the plan sneak in with somebody else's God at the end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom