Suggestions for Go Pro Hero 4 for Keys shallow reefs, filter etc ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ,

I'm heading down to Key Largo next weekend, and bringing my Hero 4

I'll be bringing a laptop and EXT HDD to transfer videos taken during the day, to store them till I get home to edit and post

i see all these wonderful videos shot in the Keys, and this will be my first trip with the Hero 4 diving

i do have a SRP tray, and multiple batteries to switch between dives

do you guys use a red filter on the 30' and shallower reefs down their?
If so, which one, back splatter? Polar Pro? SRP ?

im diving with Rainbow Reef Charters , and will be diving shallow reefs for 4 days, in hopes of getting some great footage

any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks !

Unless your diving extremely shallow, like snorkel depths 10 ft and less, yes use a red filter. Diving with Rainbow you'll be in the 25-45 ft depth range most of the time so again, yes, use red filter. It makes color grading much easier.

As far as brand of filter, any of those you listed should work fine but if I had to pick the best of those, SRP, preferably the glass version.

You have to buy adapter and lens separately.

URPRO CY FIlter

BlurFix3+ 55

I know it's more expensive but the glass filter is much more scratch resistant. The acrylic CYD is pretty prone to scratches as mine did (and I babied it) and if deep enough it shows on video.

Thanks ! I ordered the BlurFix3+ 55 with CYD all ready.

I didn't know this option was available, their web site isn't very clear on what's needed

I just emailed them to change the order to what you had recommended, as I read allot of post of people saying go with the glass over the poly, but I thought that was for the Hero3 or Hero3 + , because I couldn't find the glass option until you just showed me

Thanks again, I appreciate it

Get a red filter. But when you're in the water look to see how the colors look with your bare eyes.

Last time I was diving in Largo we averaged 45ft. I used a red filter when it wasnted needed. the footage was too red and I trashed the footage (this was before I started using Adobe Premiere Pro)

Thank you, that's good to know

i would have left it on all the time

i guess I'll have to order a lens holder also then

how do you like the Adobe Pro, and how was the learning curve on it

Thank you, that's good to know

i would have left it on all the time

i guess I'll have to order a lens holder also then

how do you like the Adobe Pro, and how was the learning curve on it

I started using Adobe Premiere about 2-3 months ago, so I'm still new to it. But I like it a lot!
The learning curve is very high in my opinion, so watching tutorials on YouTube are helpful.....It also helps that I work with 3 full-time video editors and I'm familiar with other Adobe products.

When I reach what will be the average depth, I look at the RED handles of my weight pockets (Mares). If they look brown, it's a sign to use the filter. If my neon YELLOW octo hose looks like mustard, that's a sign, too.

If im going to 80+ feet, I know im going to need the filter.

You have to buy adapter and lens separately.

URPRO CY FIlter

BlurFix3+ 55

I know it's more expensive but the glass filter is much more scratch resistant. The acrylic CYD is pretty prone to scratches as mine did (and I babied it) and if deep enough it shows on video.

they just changed my order and shipped out the above. Thanks for the suggestions !

I always left my red filter on regardless of depth unless very shallow. I always correct white balance in post with the WB picker tool in either GoPro Studio or Sony Vegas and I got fantastic results. The WB tool makes quick work of correcting the color. It has a hard time getting good results if the footage is too blue/green. Having extra red seems easy for it to correct. Just use the picker tool and select a white or light gray object (sand or bubbles).

Check out some of my older videos through the link below in my signature. Be sure it's the videos shot with a GoPro (Cayman, Roatan or Cozumel). All done with the SRP on a Hero 3, Protune and Camera RAW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom