Cape Cod Buddies and Spots Requested!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IDrawFish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys and gals. I'm going to be spending the Summer in Falmouth, MA volunteering with a couple of animal welfare organizations and would love to get some diving in as well. I've heard the Cape has great spots but they're primarily all boat dives. I love getting the chance to jump off a boat whenever I can, but sadly I said the word volunteering so my wallet can't afford charters at the moment. I'm looking for some shore dives and buddies who would want to give me the tour or at least join the adventure.

As for spots I've heard of or experienced there are:

Sandwich Town Beach: I dove once a few years ago and wouldn’t mind going back

Corpration Beach in North Dennis: Super Shallow but I'm used to diving in Long Island Sound so it can't be much worse

Garbage Beach in Woods Hole: I’ve heard of but never been and while the name sake doesn’t sound the most appealing I’ll dive anywhere at least once, supposedly the best shore dive on CC. Decent depth, nudibranchs, bottles, etc.

Hathaway’s Pond: For a Fresh Water dive it sounds interesting. I’ve heard has a couple of things sunken in it like an old car and a fishing boat and freshwater eels so there's that.

So if you know any more sites please add to the list and if want to join me or show me the ropes to any of these places or if you have a boat and are feeling generous enough to let me tag along please hit me up!!

I'm in the next town over from Falmouth (Mashpee). Ive dove alot at all those sites except Corporation Beach. Garbage beach is my favorite. I use to live 2 miles away.

I would be down for diving any of them with you.

Are you volunteering with IFAW? I certainly understand the limited budget. Here's my $0.02

Sandwich Town Beach: Shallow, sandy / clay bottom and swarming with tourists now. Not a summer dive IMHO. Pay to park ridiculous $$$.

Corpration Beach in North Dennis Never heard of it.

Garbage Beach in Woods Hole:
A good way to get to depth quickly and explore the boulders on the right. I have seen toadfish and lumpfish here at depth hiding under big boulders. Lots of spot fin butterfly fish later in season. To the left is the pier and if a WHOI boat is in, you are not allowed to dive. Must have flag. The term garbage refers to years ago when glass was put into the area nearby and has since uncovered (center). A keen eye will get you old intact bottles. Bring a flag. Park directly across the street on the road. Steps down to sand and walk in along jetty. Swim out and to the right along boulders. Viz is notoriously horrific. You must have a light. Bring a few dollars in quarters for the meters. Best ocean shore dive of your list, but boat traffic has the weekend warriors out in full force. Weekdays are best.

Hathaway’s Pond:

In my backyard so to speak. Have to pay $$ to enter since it is a town beach. A sticker will pay for itself after 3 visits. There are many sunken items like an upright cabin cruiser boat, canoe, keg, lawn statues, platforms & more. Like this in the early morning. Bring your Drysuit. Will be typical warm pond temps above 28'. (69+F) and below will be a shocking 50F. Swim area with lifeguard is on left, diving area is best accessed on right. Boat has buoy (and even a geocache tag) and is directly across the pond from roped swim area. Lately someone has done an exceptional job of putting in lines. Take care not to touch bottom, it's an unforgiving muck fest otherwise. no rinsing required.

You're welcome to come out on my boat whenever we go (if there's room). The boat is in the Fore River in Weymouth, not the Cape, so you would need to get yourself up to Boston. But the diving is more varied up here, more rock, less sand.

PM me.

Thanks for the run down Alaska.

Yeah last time I went to Sandwich it was a zoo of tourist so I'd be fine with avoiding that. I'm sure Corporation beach is much the same.

I keep getting told Garbage Beach is the place to go but the last few times I tried I couldn't find parking anywhere. I circled for a half hour and all the lots and street were taken so maybe that'll have to be an early weekday thing before the town fills up. Thanks for the history I think that'll be me go to spot when I can get in.

Thanks for the advice on Hathaway I'll definitely have to check it out at least once

---------- Post added July 19th, 2015 at 01:02 PM ----------

PM Sent MFalco and Paul... Can't wait to get in the water!

---------- Post added July 20th, 2015 at 04:42 PM ----------

I dove Hathaway last night and it's actually a pretty cool place to mess around when the other beaches are too full. No need to worry about tides or rinsing everything after. Some one ran a line to all the docks, statue, car and boat and there's a couple PVC rings to swim through but holy thermacline when you get past 30ft that cold hits you! What's more important is why hasn't anyone mentioned it's directly across the street from Cape Cod Brewery!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom