Madison Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not closed, just on hold trying to figure out which direction we need to go in due to the recent events. Since some of my previous staff members decided that I wasnt in the industry anymore (I wish I would have known that I retired) and then chose to make an attempt to open the quarry without me, Im still trying to get things moving in a productive direction.
I spoke to a Madison Utilities manager earlier this week. I did not call about the quarry, but I did ask about it after we were done discussing my original business. I was told that a large part of the decision not to lease this year is the road construction that is going on for the new development. He said that access to MU's own equipment in the area is very difficult. I drove by the area yesterday and it does look like a lot of construction is going on.

Hopefully things will be better for next season. I appreciate Britt's efforts on keeping the dive site available for so long, and congratulate him on his early (and unexpected) retirement. :)

Britt, are you the author of the facebook page or is that someone else?

Thanks again,
David

I am the creator of both pages. After some time, I have Britt Clarke administration rights..he promptly took over it and claimed it as his own. He became hostile when I d another person to also become an administrator that he didn't like. He didn't create the page nor maintain it... But after the WB made a decision to close it.. I became a target. Why I still do not know. I haven't attend any meetings with the water board or anything. All I have done is encourage folks to support the opening of the Madison Quarry for ALL the dive community in the area reguardless of who was holding the lease. So, I started a second page.. Once again, just to maintain awareness to support the Quarry. Nothing more nothing less. Mr. Clarke then harassed me on that page until I was forced to block him.
Now, those are the facts. I wish no ill on him, I will pray for him instead. But, I also do not want him telling stories on me that are false. Thank you and have a good day.

I think the first thing I should point out is that I am not retired, even though a group that includes some of my previous staff members keep telling everyone that I am retired so they can justify trying to open the quarry without me.

The person that posted prior to me added someone from the group that was trying to take over the quarry as an administrator to the page so they could take over the operation of the page without my consent. Somehow, she seems to think that running a facebook page makes her staff for the quarry. She was an admin on the page as a courtesy based on a misplaced friendship and a unjustified trust of her since she only dove the quarry once or twice every few years and seems to have asthma attacks. I later removed her from the page as she was never staff or a paid employee and basically tried to hijack the page for her group. I was previously warned about her actions by another dive shop owner but chose to ignore it since it didnt have an effect on my business. I was later proven wrong. I deleted her and the others from the page when things became obvious that they were making an attempt to open the quarry after hearing about a meeting they had and later being asked for a copy of the proposal I initially used to open the quarry. It seemed that they expected me to give them a copy of the proposal so they wouldnt have to write one themselves to take over the quarry. The group had also started a rumor that I was retired and they told others that they had my approval to open the quarry without me which was not what I told them or anyone else. personally, I think someone got $$$$ in their eyes and thought they could make a ton of money off the quarry by running it as a club membership system or something and without a breathing air compressor. They even tried to get donations from divers to finance their endeavors.
Screenshot_2014-12-23-03-18-16.png

As for her new page, I consider her infringement on my business to be an issue. She/They copied most of the photos on the Madison Quarry Facebook page and put them on their page and named it the "Official" Madison Quarry page. I contacted FB and had the pictures removed from the page. When this happened, she made a post on their page making a lot of other statements and even accusing me of "Hacking" her accounts and mentioned having her husband take legal steps against me. I am not a Psychiatrist by any means, so I wont say what I think about this person. I wouldnt want to violate any HIPPA regulations. Ill just leave these screenshots here for your viewing pleasure.
Screenshot_2014-12-23-07-31-25.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-01-00-36-49.jpg

When someone reminded her that I renewed the domain madisonquarry.com, she decided that the domain would be given to the neighborhood or the shopping complex.
Screenshot_2015-07-01-00-37-46.png

I have dealt with people trying to take over the quarry several times in the past and made sure the quarry stayed open. This time, it seems that some of my staff decided that they could operate it without me and brought in a few people that seemed to have some influence even though they were not connected to the dive industry at all. There are so many rumors that have been started by them and others that think they are the best option to run the quarry, Im not sure who to believe anymore when I hear something new.

Basically, what I am dealing with concerning the previous poster is someone that has irritated several dive shop operators at one point or another and is more involved in "Dive Politics" than they are actually diving. The end result is the quarry will not be opening this year and after all the fallout from her group has dissipated, I will know more about the following years. Hopefully, they will stop acting like spoiled brats and leave the business side of things to people that actually know how to operate the quarry.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son has his cert now and would love to bring him up this summer, have dove there a few times in the past and really enjoyed it. Know there has been some issues up there and hope they get resolved - It would be a waste to lose another dive site.

Phil,
Im hoping that things are resolved but I havent heard anything recently from the others that were trying to take it over. Ill know more as the season gets closer but I have every intention of getting it open. Just for clarification to others that seem to be mislead... No, Im not retired and I didnt tell someone to open it without me.

keep us posted - enjoyed the tech days you had with the ability to try out wings etc. Son is young and going to grow so probably long term going to get him a back plate wing setup so it will grow with him. Look forward to having it open again if you can get it all straight with the water board and the other group. Hate that you have had the issues you have had, all it takes is one to spoil it for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom