dive itinerary for Nov. 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed on those months as the best chance to avoid typhoon and none of us took immunization med. Kelle, it is an Orangutan Crab. Why one got super-sized when I attached it, no clue.
Our group does plan to go back, this time to the new one, Magic Ocean in Bohol. Either 2017 or 2018. Next year is Cocos Island and hammerheads. We stay in contact with Arie and Desiree and wish them great success with the opening of Magic Ocean.
Enjoy your entire trip.

Rob

Speaking only on travel and not on dive quality, I disagree with the crowd a bit and think your trip is very doable either the first or second version. Many want to add in Palawan or some faraway place, and that is much harder. But while your trip is three areas, they are pretty close to each other and do not involve flights. The ferry to Bohol will not be difficult, just watch for schedules that change and are inaccurate if you're doing it on your own and give yourself extra padding on arriving to the ferry terminal. Online resources for ferry times are often outdated. The harder trip will be from Moalboal to stop #2 though IMO, and will be a long day.

There have been some typhoons a bit further south than normal, notably the big one in 2013, but I was in Bohol two months after that and they said they didn't have more than a few gusts and some drizzle. I think you're far enough south you will be fine (knock on wood as mentioned) because the visayas and the weather is often referring more to Samar and Leyte and northern Bohol and Cebu. Malapascua for instance is in a tougher spot by far than the places you are going.

Thanks Rob and Maverick (now I really want to see an orangutan crab in addition to large schools of fish). So, since I don't mind picking up and traveling a bit on vaca (let's see if I say that after having bad jetlag), I'm glad you think our plan is doable based on the geography Maverick. But you say speaking only to travel and not dive quality --- can I get your opinion on the best Philippines diving? Understanding of course what everyone is looking for in a good dive is certainly subjective. Thanks!

can I get your opinion on the best Philippines diving?

Although I've lived about 3 years total off and on in the Philippines, that was before I learned to dive. So that's why I let the experts discuss diving and only stick my head in to discuss logistics. The only place I've dove was my last trip, which was to El Nido, and it was average, as most would say about that place. I've snorkeled in Oslob and loved it, although vis wasn't great when I was there and it is the carnival as described. Balicasag I again only snorkeled and it was amazing from that point of view, so hopefully diving is great too.

The suggested itinerary is of course "doable" but is it worth the bother? I would rather spend the time exploring Siquijor and Sumilon Island instead of 2 days in Bohol. Never like packing and unpacking wet scuba equipments.
Best diving in the country is Tubattaha(liveaboard from mid March to mid June only). For land based(my suggestion):
Anilao, Coron(wrecks only), General Santos, Malapascua, Puerto Galera, Sipalay and Southern Leyte.

Hi Kelle,
don't you worry, we have resident orangutan crabs in Atmosphere House Reef so you should be able to see them here!

I agree with the others about coastal diving in Dauin - definitely not to be missed! Corals in Apo are stunning and it's lovely to see all those turtles relaxing in soft coral beds, but allow some time to your itinerary to check the macro sites in Dauin coast too. There's also a special treat for you thinking about your holiday time: we have octopus mating season here in Dauin from September to November. That means that the little fellas are out and about much more than usual so they are easy to encounter and photograph, after all they are mostly interesting impressing the partners during that season and are pretty much ignoring divers. You can expect to see several different species in a couple of days. We have here at least blue ring octopus, mototi octopus, wonderpus, mimic octopus, white-v octopus, coconut octopus and common reef octopus, so if you are into octopi, the fall is your dream time for dive vacation here (despite the more unpredictable weather)! Here's the collection from last October by our in-house marine biologist Daniel Geary (all the pics taken within a week):
octopus collection from october 2014 by daniel atmosphere.jpg

What it comes to your worries with typhoon, the typhoon belt indeed goes over the Visayas BUT only in the northern part of the region. Looking at the map, it's usual for storms and typhoons to hit the land in the eastern part of the country (Leyte and Samar) and after that take a course towards southwest / Manila. That means that the southern parts of the Visayas, like Dauin, are pretty safe and sheltered. I've lived here now 2,5 years and have never witnessed a proper storm (*knocking the wood*).

PM or email me Kelle if you need any help with arrangements, always happy to help. I'm looking forward seeing you here in November!

Last edited:
There have been some typhoons a bit further south than normal, notably the big one in 2013, but I was in Bohol two months after that and they said they didn't have more than a few gusts and some drizzle.
In december 2013 electricity was shut down in Panglao for 2 weeks, plus some of the dive bangkas sunk on the beach.
In december 2014 all ferries from/to Tagbilaran (Bohol) where kept at harbor for 3 days.

What it comes to your worries with typhoon, the typhoon belt indeed goes over the Visayas BUT only in the northern part of the region.
Oh really? Could you then pls explain why the eastern coast of Apo is completely ruined and since a couple of years no more diving on Sanctuary?

Not saying that it you should avoid a trip to the Phils from July to December, but you must keep in mind there is a probability (higher these last 3 years) that your trip might be impacted by a typhoon. In 7 or so trips to the phils I have been grounded twice in august and december, twice in Bohol, twice involving ferry issues. This is why I was suggesting to leave Moalboal for the end of your stay, since it doesn't require any boat transfer.

And by the way, orang utang crabs can be seen almost on every dive in Moalboal, Panglao/Balicasag and Dauin. :wink:

Kelle,

I agree with the posters above travel here in the Philippines is no where near that to the US then add to the fact your diving as well remember to have a vacation too!! Ha ha.. If you do decide to come to Balicasag there are plenty of amazing dive spots we have some great reef walls plenty of fish to see and even One octopus that I have seen on the last few dives. Just make sure the night before your dive to Balicasag you find a shop you like and make a reservation as nudisusie mentioned the mayor has made diving here more strict and expensive. If you have questions about places to stay or dive shops or anything at all I can give you all the information you need and answer any questions you may have feel free to pm me :D.

In the past 5 years, with climate change, every year typhoons are going lower and lower reaching directly Visayas, including Dauin and Apo Island and even northern parts of Mindanao... 3 years ago Apo was direct hit by a Typhoon that's why the eastern coast of this small island is quite damaged. With this tendency of typhoons going lower towards ecuator, the upper part of the Philippines (Luzon, including Anilao) is being spared more often than before.. Last year the whole month of August was enjoying sunny summer weather with no rains and no typhoons in Anilao, something you could never see few years back...

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful and considerate responses to my questions. We finally let it sink in that our vaca. weeks might not be the most reliably good time for weather in the areas of diving we considered. Changed it up a bit - as we're now booking a liveaboard in the Maldives. Funny because one of the posters to this thread (xrcjdx) said that we could probably find a liveaboard that would appeal to both my and my husband's styles. My husband finally persuaded me to the liveaboard idea (Carpe Vita). I think we will (hope we will :)) both find this enjoyable. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom