What to pair with Anilao..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to Anilao in March-April next year and have already paired it with Tubbataha on board the Stella Maris Explorer (completely refurbished, new and very helpful management. All trips after August 2014 have had very positive reviews). If you are in Philippines between mid-March & mid-June and a Tubbataha trip is within your budget, it is almost a crime not to do it. The boats get full quickly though. SME still has spaces in May 2016.

The way I am doing it is fly from London to Manila direct, stay overnight near the airport and take a private transport to Anilao the next morning. 5 days of diving there (18 dives) with Buceo Anilao and then back to Manila. Cebu Pacific flight to Puerto Princesa, overnight in a small hotel (recommended to arrive a day early in case of flight delays) and join the liveaboard next morning.

Although most "regular" (ie non-transition) trips to Tubbataha are 7D/6N, occasionally Stella Maris Explorer does a 8D/7N trip. Mine (1st to 8th April 2016) is one such. It happened because after I had booked my trip, they sent me an e-mail asking if I could arrive a day earlier and do a longer trip at no additional cost. As a matter of fact I could have done and accepted their offer. The last trip in May 2015 (28th May to 4th June) is one such but I do not know if it can blend with your Anilao itinerary. But SME has places for all trips in May and so worth asking.

In case you are interested, I arranged my Manila - Anilao - Manila private transfer with a highly recommended (Tripadvisor and Lonely Planet) guy named Arnold Sanchez. His quote for the return trip was 8500 PHP ($190) all (tax, fuel etc) inclusive.

Last edited:
Normally the dive ops at Anilao organise transport usually at $100 one way.

A couple of years ago I arranged to transfer by banca from Crystal Blue in Anilao to Asia Divers in Puerto Galera, which also cost $100, this was split between three of us who were all diving together. My only regret was not doing a dive or two between these locations as the east end of Maricaban Is is pretty good and few dive ops from Anilao go there.

I agree with Hintermann about arriving early in case of flight delays, especially if you are connecting to a live aboard.

My normal itinerary has me arriving at 16:40 after a nine hour flight and I normally stay in Manila for a night then head down to Anilao the next morning, which takes between 2-3 hours depending on traffic and weather.

BTW Diana, your UW photos are stunning.

Thank you Seacaigh! and thank you (and Hintermann) for the info? How did you like the diving at Pueto Galera? Was it similar to Anilao? I think I have the opportunity to do the Tubbataha trip on the Siren then I would head to CBR in Anilao, Just wanted to make sure we aren't missing anything else. I figure if I am flying all the way there then why not stay awhile! :wink:

I will check out The Stella boat!

Anilao and PG are completely different in terms of diving and eating out. In Anilao you are stuck to dive, eat and sleep in the same place but you have plenty of options in PG.
If your like macro then Anilao is the place but PG has more varieties(Canyons, Kilemar Drift and Horse Head Reef are highly recommended). What a pity that the sharks in shark cave are history.
Tubattaha is the best in the country.

I think Tubbataha is worth pairing with anything. (We paired it with Palau, since we were there, after discovering there was a direct Palau-Manila flight.)

Central's comparison sums it up in a nutshell.

I have used Crystal Blue twice and rate them very good, although their communications department can be a bit iffy, however I have done that trip solo and ended up with my own boat and personal guide. They do Nitrox and no limits on dive times. My shortest dive was 70 mins and most were between 80-90 minutes. Good shore diving too at Anilao.

My next PI trip will be to combine Subic Bay with Anilao.

Agree that PG and Anilao are very different and make a nice combo. Anilao is about amazing muck/macro with some really nice reef on the side and PG is amazing reef with currents with some macro/muck thrown in. PG is happening and an incredible value, Anilao is quiet and a bit more expensive. I think its a great combo and definitely helps to save a flight between locales during a dive trip.

Next time for PI, I would probably do Anilao/Tubbataha or just go Visayas for something different, but I would not hesitate to do Anilao/PG again - I am just trying to get to more places in SE Asia as that was my first time.

Hi Cali_Diver girl... As buceo says Tubbataha would be it.
I sent you a private message by the way... Feel free to PM me back...

Back
Top Bottom