Mussandam Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Great weekends diving up the Mussandam at the weekend (19th & 20th June)

We went out with Sheesa Beeach

Sea a but choppy and with springs it meant that White rock was the furthest north we could get - even then we could only dive it around slack water at midday.

Queen of the Mussandam was with us at Ras Kaisah with another group, but turned south after the first dive - I'm guessing looking for more sheltered less challenging diving

Water temps have been a steady 27 - 28. Coolest was on Lima at 30m where it was 25. Visibility wasn't the best I've seen this year at all. Very free with maybe 5m - 10m at max

It seems to be a good Whale Shark season. So far we've spotted one in Jan on Deep Purple (Ras Mussandam), In May on white Rock we had 1 at 6m and two others down at 40 at the same time. This weekend we had what we thought was one on Ras Kaisah (Friday) which both waves of divers saw. However looking at the videos they were two different beasts (one had a damaged tail fin)

On Mother of Mouse on Sat we saw another one.

Over the previous two years I haven't seen one at all despite diving the same sites around the same frequency.

Not sure how many others have been spotted by other groups especially around Octopus, Lima Rock and perhaps Ras Marovi?

Had Dolphins playing around the boat at Ras Sarkin - I dropped in the bay with a faint hope of seeing them underwater. Apparently they came towards us, but the vis was so bad if they'd have been more than 6m away we wouldn't have seen them.

The rest of the group had a high current mediocre dive on the sea wad side of the point, whereas in the bay we had very little flow, but lots of life. 2 large Rays, 2 eagle rays, turtles and schooling barracuda.

Next heading up there in Sept hopefully two trips :)

Typical, I was in Mussandam this weekend too (with Al Marsa) and not a hint of a Whaleshark. Slightly glad, only had the macro set-up with me, so at best I could have photographed a spot !!!!

Pretty good weekend for small stuff. Even managed an extra dive with just myself and the DM after we dropped the others back to the dhow after the second dive on Saturday morning at Lima Rock. Left them to have lunch and we did a quick change of cylinders and shot over to Wonderwall to sit and wait for the Mantis Shrimp to make an appearance. Only had to wait about 10 minutes or so.

Couple of pics:

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

Haven't been up to Musandam in years, the border crossing hassle puts me off.

It was fairly painless getting across on Thursday, probably 10 mins in total from pulling up to driving off

Lucky you, I heard a certain UK ex-PM had some hassles a few months ago, 2 hours waiting before he called the British Ambassador so I'm told.

Did my first Musandam trip in 10 years with Sheesa Beach, 24 divers, 18 rebreathers and several tanks to keep us going for two days and 5 dives in total. All organised by Glenn from CTD as his leaving do.

Due to work commitments I had to pack my car the day before and left on Thursday evening, took an hour to get out of the city past Dragonmart

The dhow was pretty well packed

Visibility varied but was never less than 20M, hoping to return again perhaps in January or perhaps early February

Water temperatures ranged from 25-27C

Best dive site; Mother of the Mouse

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom