how to prevent the BCD from sliding?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I've been noticing that when I get in the water, my BCD slides up towards my head and I keep having to yank it back in place. I find this pretty weird because it's perfectly fitted on land. Is there something I can get or something I need to adjust on my BCD to prevent this from happening?

Are you sure that it needs to float that much? Would a little less air do? Float deeper.

1: You are about neutral.
2: The BCD only has to make itself (with the tank) neutral.
1+2: Then there is a neutrally buoyant diver (floating quite deep though) in a neutrally buoyant BCD. The surface is about at eye level or mouth level and there is no pulling/sliding.

If this does not help, then a crotch strap or better BCD or something...

So, I've been noticing that when I get in the water, my BCD slides up towards my head and I keep having to yank it back in place. I find this pretty weird because it's perfectly fitted on land.

Well, as you are finding out, things work quite a bit differently underwater and there is often little correlation between how a BC performs while diving and how it feels in the dive shop showroom.

Read some of the threads about backplate/wing systems. You could easily spend hundreds of hours doing this, so don't be discouraged! You could try adding a crotch strap to your BC, if there's a way to attach it. If this is a BC that you are renting, problem solved....don't rent one like it any more. If you own and have invested some money into it, you'll be a little more attached.

Add a crotch strap.. I did it to mine and wife's.. Two minute job... Has nothing to do with how good or bad the BC is.. "ANY HARNESS" moves around... Even a backplate and wing.. It's just how the body and harness move independent of each other... I am a master parachute rigger... I know what I'm talking about... :wink:

Jim...

Edited to add... The problem of building a harness is to have it fit snugly and give free range of movement... Those two things are at opposite ends of the function of a harness... If the person would stay in one position and not move, Building one would be easy... The nice thing about the crotch strap is it lets the harness be free moving and at the sametime stops the riding up that you're experiencing...

Last edited:
OP: Are you talking about when you are at the surface or during the dive?

Thanks for the advice!
I'm pretty new to diving, do you have any advice for me about crotch straps? (ie adding them, how tight, difference between woman's or man's?)

Thanks for the advice!
I'm pretty new to diving, do you have any advice for me about crotch straps? (ie adding them, how tight, difference between woman's or man's?)

As folks have asked above, what BCD are you diving? That's important info if you're going to get any useful info about adding a crotch strap.

You may even wish to divulge your gender, before asking for info about woman's vs man's crotch strap. (However, there's no difference.) You just need it tight enough to keep the BCD from riding up, which is not very tight. If you notice it's there... it's too tight.

I noticed that also on a couple of dives. When I bought my new Apex WTX the crotch strap solved the problem totally. I really do not notice it is there. It's a great system.

Back
Top Bottom