Petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless there is a hardware change required for a future petrel 3 like there was with the compass addition on the petrel 2, its all software functions. I don't think you will find a better or at least a significant better computer than a shearwater (petrel or predator) it is an intuitive computer and it tells you what is ,,,, not a padded version of what is. In my opinion shearwater is the divers computer.

AS others have stated, the Petrel is probably the best computer on the market now and for the foreseeable future. It does not have all the bells and whistles of your "standard" recreational dive computers, such as air integration or audible alarms. It does however have regular updates, can be changed to a number of different algorithms, including ones you can load on to it or adjust the GFs on. It is solid, well built, and works like a champ at all things diving. To top it off, the service from Shearwater is outstanding. I currently have both the Petrel 1 and 2 and have owned two other Petrel 1s, one I gave to a friend, one to my wife. Honestly, not a big fan of the digital compass of the Petrel 2, even though it works great. That said, if you are on a budget but you still want one you can get a used Petrel 1 for cheaper and it runs the exact same firmware as the 2, it just does not have the compass. Both will continue to be up-gradable. I don't think you will regret buying either of them and will continue to use it for years.

The only issue will eventually be that the software will eclipse the storage capacity of the device, provided they continue to add modes, decompression algorithms, etc. Until that occurs, there's really not much that would make the hardware obsolete.

The only issue will eventually be that the software will eclipse the storage capacity of the device, provided they continue to add modes, decompression algorithms, etc. Until that occurs, there's really not much that would make the hardware obsolete.

highly unlikely that that would happen... There are two algorithm options right now, don't see them being added to, maybe changed, but it's very unlikely. Not sure what modes would cause it to lose storage capacity, but they can cut down dive log storage space which is the biggest data hog on there right now if they add modes, but right now there is rec nitrox, technical everything, and CCR, not sure what else there is to put on there. They have said they won't be doing AI, so that's not up for discussion, and with a digital compass, and bluetooth module, there just isn't anything else I can think of to put in there...

Hroark, if you have seen waterboys other posts you would know that it was said very sarcastically and was not meant to be humorous.... Read the other computer threads he's been involved in and it'll make sense, it was meant as a rather passive aggressive jab at that suggestion, not his signature

highly unlikely that that would happen... There are two algorithm options right now, don't see them being added to, maybe changed, but it's very unlikely. Not sure what modes would cause it to lose storage capacity, but they can cut down dive log storage space which is the biggest data hog on there right now if they add modes, but right now there is rec nitrox, technical everything, and CCR, not sure what else there is to put on there. They have said they won't be doing AI, so that's not up for discussion, and with a digital compass, and bluetooth module, there just isn't anything else I can think of to put in there...

Hroark, if you have seen waterboys other posts you would know that it was said very sarcastically and was not meant to be humorous.... Read the other computer threads he's been involved in and it'll make sense, it was meant as a rather passive aggressive jab at that suggestion, not his signature

It's already happened with the Predator. They don't have enough space to add rec nitrox which is why it's Petrel only. Point is, who knows what will go on them in the future. I bet they never anticipated running out of room on the Predator in the first place.

Can you think of anything about the Petrel you would like to see improved?

I wish the casing were thinner / more attractive. When worn in some positions, the thickness of the casing gets in the way when doing valve drills.

The strap could do with some improvements. I found the stock straps very difficult to use. I put on bungees but it is not exactly "supported" by the product (and limits the size of bungee to quite a thin one, not extremely comfortable), and bungees are not easily adjusted when moving between rash guards and dry suits with a glove ring system.

I wish the casing were thinner / more attractive. When worn in some positions, the thickness of the casing gets in the way when doing valve drills.

The strap could do with some improvements. I found the stock straps very difficult to use. I put on bungees but it is not exactly "supported" by the product (and limits the size of bungee to quite a thin one, not extremely comfortable), and bungees are not easily adjusted when moving between rash guards and dry suits with a glove ring system.

Yes, agree. A smaller profile would be nice. I don't mind the straps but would prefer a more elegant user friendly bungee mount system of lacing. I did try bungee but was never satisfied with my results so went back to straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom