When did Halcyon change oral inflator? Where to get old one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I love my halcyon SMB's. I've tried a few other SMB's, cuz they weren't overpriced H stuff, only to ditch them after a few dives because they just totally blew. I do tropical reef dives, and carry two SMBs. A large 6' one bungled to my plate, and a small 3.3' one pre-rigged on spool in my thigh pocket, both oral inflate with OPV. The small one is the one I use the most, as I frequently launch it from 10 meters or less, its easy to stow, easy to launch, and works fine for the diving I do. I'm now teaching my GF how to use an SMB and spool and ordered a new 3.3' SMB for her. But the oral inflate is different. Mine is this stainless steel inflator with a built in check valve. Its idiot proof, just blow into it. It has a big flange that you can press your lips against, the stem is thin and making a seal is easy and inflating easier. The new one has this big black thing with a cap you have to press to inflate, and its much fatter stem. I tried it in my pool, it required me to jam it against my teeth to open the valve and blow. Not as idiot proof as maintaining a seal and opening the valve required some effort. Not a lot of effort, but more than the old one. But the worst is that the cap also has a twist lock to it. To me, thats an additional step to a launch an SMB "check that cap is unlocked before inflating".

Dunno why they made the change, but I don't like it. Anyone know where I can get the older style? My local dealer says he can't get them for me.

What you‘re describing, the steel one, is not the ‘oral inflate‘ model, but the LPI. I couldn‘t agree more, I have a 4.5ft/1.4m and think it‘s just the bee‘s knees, too.

To the best of my knowledge, they still make the 3.3ft/1m in either oral OR low pressure inflate. Or at least my guy can get them yet .... cause I‘m awaiting a smaller yellow one myself!

* to clarify for those not familiar with the LPI, it can be orally inflated OR stuck on your low pressure hose.

Well, my dealer double checked, and yes the LPI models are still available. Though they warned me it was really hard to blow into and the oral inflate I got is better...

So now i'm waiting to swap for 2 SMB's that I love.

I have a 6' one with the steel LP flange on it as well - it's SO AMAZING. Especially for cold water. I oral inflate it all the time.

20160329_175700.jpg

there are two version of H SMB inflator. The one shown in Reku's picture is called Auto Inflator. You can do both oral inflate and LPI inflate. The other one is call Oral inflate, which you can only do oral inflate. The former is more versatile. The large stainless steel nibble is also easier to operate.

Yup, they offer two versions. They were getting requests for the other style so it was added as an option. Make sure to ask for the style you prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom