Dive insurance/Travel insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Posting a few questions I'd put in an older thread without much response, so thought I'd try a new thread. Am considering some type of travel/dive insurance and info on the websites can be confusing. Wondering if there are any responses to the following. Not looking for what's best, but how it works.

1. My Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy has the BlueCard Worldwide feature which for me states that outside the U.S., I will be covered for Urgent and Emergency care. A service rep told me today (I gave him an example of stepping on a rusty nail in Mexico) that if I go an "emergency room." I will be covered. Also he said that diving is covered as there are no exclusions on the activity I'm doing. From reading, on my own, an evacuation to a place that can handle my emergency is one of the benefits. Sounds like my medical would be covered outside the U.S. Will be calling BlueCard in next couple of days, but wanted to be ready with questions that may arise if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

2. DAN has a membership, dive insurance, and travel insurance. The membership includes TravelAssist which gets you up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage whether it is a diving or non-diving emergency. It also gives you the opportunity to purchase diving or travel insurance. The dive insurance increases the amount of evac coverage and covers other areas as well. Travel insurance also covers evac, some medical, and several things related to your travel, including trip cancellation or interruption. Does the travel insurance cover some of the important features of the dive insurance? Would I need both dive and travel insurance or is the membership enough?

3. Dive Assure's membership also allows for purchase of dive/trip insurance. Site is a little confusing to me. It seems that their dive insurance can be purchased at different levels such as gold and platinum, but their trip insurance also covers diving. I can find prices for trip insurance but not the different diving levels. All links regarding the types of insurance prices go to the same price page, although prices vary depending on number of travelers. Is Dive Assures diving and travel insurance the same thing?

Appreciate any info offered.

Yearly DAN insurance on both myself and my wife (non diver). I do a fair amount of local diving as well and whether stateside or abroad, DAN compliments my primary coverage nicely.

As far as trip insurance, we do get trip insurance on 99% of our trips. The 1% depends on the cancellation policies of where we book, and the cc we may use.

Bottom line, I would never consider diving home or abroad without DAN insurance

I've seen claims filed with both. Dive Assure was seamless. DAN was a nightmare getting the bills paid. Remember Dive Assure is primary. DAN is secondary and it has to go through your primary insurance first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom