Traveling With Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwat34

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I am traveling to Mexico in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you recommend carrying the regulator on or checking it. Also if you do carry it on has TSA given you a problem.

Put ours in our carry-ons........No problem with TSA(so far.....:))...

I carry regs and computers in my carry-on. Sometimes they want to hand search b/c the brass just shows up as a dark mass on the x-ray screen. That's about as much difficulty as I've ever received.

Either checked or carryon is fine, people do both all the time. I generally carryon unless I am on an airline with a very low weight limit for that. TSA folks usually know what a reg looks like, and if there's someone new who doesn't, it seems to get used as on the spot training example.

Reactions: Doc
I pack my entire rig, including a Stainless Steel backplate, STA, wing, regulators, computer, compass, DAN SMB, fins, i.e. everything ​into a regulation size carryon. Never had an issue.

I have been on over 20 dive trips and so far have always checked-in the regulator. My hand luggage is full of my camera kit and there is no room for anything sizeable.

I wrap the regulator in my wetsuit, place it within the "crevasse" formed by the folded BCD and pack it with the BCD down. Fins on either side, booties and other kit packed around to give the Reg best possible protection.

In the carry on: regs, computers, camera, mask, bathing suit, battery charger.
In checked luggage: the rest of my gear.
reason: in case the airline looses a checked bag, I still have most of the important gear as "my own" gear, and can rent the rest.

Reg is always a carry-on. Have had no issues except right after 9/11. Reg has been to Cozumel Mexico many many times with no issues down or back.

Regs always carried on (usually have 4 sets, 2 for stages/deco and 2 for backgas). We get stopped more for the cannister battery than the regs, but regardless, they are typically packed in such a way that all can be seen from top of suitcase when opened. Also I send suitcase through X-ray unzipped and tell them it's already open when they ask to take a second look. Seems to expedite things.

Back
Top Bottom