Need help choosing a new computer, read this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you are certainly in the minority, lots of Liquivision owners jumped ship.

Analysis of the Koan

Cost $750, plus $100 for computer download kit. 3 nitrox computer. Uses weird batteries *123's, similar to Intova lights* but are user replaceable. So for the same price as the Kaon you can get a Petrel which adds the digital compass, bluetooth dive logging to any computer *includes free bluetooth dongle*, can also upload straight to your iphone. Uses AA batteries, and has GF settings for conservatism so much more useful for technical diving, and provides Rec mode which uses 3 conservatism options similar to the Kaon. Kaon does have an OLED screen where the Petrel went to LCD, but there difference in real world is pretty minimal. I'm not a fan of the tap system and much prefer the piezo buttons on the Petrel. Not sure what O-ring size they use, but the Petrels o-ring for the battery compartment is a standard DIN O-ring so all technical divers will have extras where Liquivision charges an arm and a leg for their battery kits. Warranties are technically the same, but Shearwater has long been known to ignore their warranty policy and will fix just about everything you send it in for regardless of age.... Either for free, or for next to nothing.

Again, no offense to you and not trying to belittle your purchase, but for a new diver evaluating computers, from a price/performance standpoint, the Kaon doesn't make sense.

An alternative for the Geo 2.0, the "new" Cressi Newton. Someone know something about this Cressi device?

looks good, but difficult to justify spending almost 1.5x for basically the same computer, $550 for the Cressi vs. $400 for the Oceanic. Also wouldn't surprise me if AUP was actually the OEM for the Cressi....

looks good, but difficult to justify spending almost 1.5x for basically the same computer, $550 for the Cressi vs. $400 for the Oceanic. Also wouldn't surprise me if AUP was actually the OEM for the Cressi....

The Newton runs: CRESSI RGBM Algorithm. New algorithm created through a collaboration between Cressi and Bruce Wienke based on the Haldane model, integrated with RGBM factors for safe decompression calculations in repetitive multi-day dives. I would be surprised if this computer was produced by Pelagic Pressure Systems, but who knows. Personally I would stay away from this algorithm in favor of DSAT/PZ+ run on the Geo2

I'd still wouldn't be surprised if PPS made it, despite the wonky algorithm. Either way, point is you can save $150 and get the Geo 2.0 and you get absolutely nothing more out of the Cressi to justify the extra $150

I'm going to jump in here and say I'm very happy with the Eon Steel, both I and my wife have them. We carry out repetitive diving (7 over 2 days) once or twice a month and even diving on default conservatism never get near our NDL's. Caveat here we dive reefs so can move shallower but do go to 40m on 50% of the dives.

There are lots of reasons I settled on the Eon and before I get flamed, what limited me was the choice via in country dealers. Sure I could have imported a Petrel and paid no tax, but if there had been any issue then sending it back would have been a pain. I happen to like giving my gear to my LDS if there is any shipping required it's their issue.

Can't comment on price as I'm not in the US so have different price scales, but yes they are not cheap.

Don't care about CCR software but having free trimix software was good as it the multi gas.

Anyway just my 2c worth

You can make a liberal computer more conservative, there's nothing you can do with conservative computer

Local availability and service are reasonable considerations

A local dive instructor told me that the Navy uses Zeagle and "if it's good enough for the Navy, it's good enough for anybody." I've never used any of their equipment, but it looks well made. I am curious as to why they do not make dive computers anymore. They don't show them on their website and I have not seen any recent reviews for them. I worry that if I buy one that I won't be able to get it serviced. It looks like a great deal though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom