Where to do PADI Open Water in late June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t.dtty

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you had 5 full days in the Philippines (June 26-30) and wanted to complete the PADI Open Water course, where would you go?

I have no scuba experience but I am a healthy 27-year-old male and have done a lot of snorkeling in my life. Time to learn to scuba! I will be traveling solo and on a medium budget - don't want to skimp on shoddy equipment, but don't need the mega cush ultra suite infinity pool.

Really just looking for a solid dive center with a low teacher:student ratio, with the possibility of seeing some awesome reefs in late June.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Try Liquid Dumaguete. They are a reputable centre with PADI IDC ranking, Student:instructor ratios are good too. Tim and Zoe are very professional but a fun team. they have basic accommodation on site and a pool for training, plus its right on the water so easy access for training dives. The banca boat goes to local sites and apo island - so plenty of options for diving once certified.
Their bar is a fun place to hang out too, and the foods not shabby!

You might even see me cruising by on a liveaboard as we'll be in the area at that time!
Enjoy

Hello t.dtty,

You may consider Buceo Anilao Beach & Dive Resort (Home), less than 3h by car from Manila. Resident instructor has a low or even one-on-one classes ratio, with 2 swimming pools, comfy classroom and many dive sites nearby, including a great house reef... :wink:

We haven't been to Anilao , but have been to Liquid Dumaguete and loved it there , it would be a perfect place to learn and to experience the ambiance of a dive centre at it's very best. You will not be able to dive 24 hours before your flight , so consider doing the theory and if possible the pool work before your holiday.
Have a wonderful trip.

You have a load of time to complete OW locally before your travels. Another option would be to arrive as a certified diver and enjoy yourself at any of the locations listed above. Or Malapascua.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

While my schedule does not allow me to complete the OW ahead of time, I definitely plan on completing the eLearning (theory portion) before arriving in the Philippines.

I've actually already been looking into Liquid Dumaguete, as well as Evolution in Malapascua. Would anyone be able to explain what distinguishes the two areas from each other? I understand Dumaguete is a college town with easy access to diving Apo Island, and Malapascua is a small island with thresher sharks nearby.

Would one have better visibility or more marine life in late June?

Thanks again for your help!

Since you are in San Francisco you might want to contact Jon at Marin Diving Center they could get your book work and pool work done before your trip and can help you with your referral in the Philippines. He runs trips to the Philippines and could be a good local resource for you. I just went on their February trip to Anda Bohol and Dumaguete if you PM me I can give you some more info.

Pleasure to help :)

I think Liquid is easier to get to than Evolution. Dumaguete is a university town and has some fun bars and restaurants, its easy to get into town from Liquid who are actually out of town in the Dauin area. not been to Evolution but i do know Malapascua is a lovely island with fun made through the dive centres of an evening plus a few local restaurants, but there is less to do i think that in the surrounding areas of Dumaguete ;where you have lakes and hikes and waterfalls. Diving is much the same in each location - critters and corals. Malapascua does have the thresher sharks but as the site is 25m depth you;d have to do your deep adventure dive or advanced course after the open water to be able to go there. If you have time - maybe do both? though the transfer journey will take about 7 hours!

Liquid offer the Open Water online - whereby you learn the theory online through PADI before travelling - which will save time and Tim or Zoe are there online to assist you also.

best of luck - hope you enjoy it!

I don't think there is direct flight between USA and Cebu(Malapascua) and Dumaguete(Dauin). So you will need a domestic flight to connect either places with Manila. Depend on the flight schedules(domestic and international) and the no fly penalty after diving, you five days can easily dwindle down to 3 and a bit.
Arriving at Manila with 5 days to spare, I would consider, based on accessibility, Subic Bay, Anilao and Puerto Galera.
Have fun.

If you had 5 full days in the Philippines (June 26-30) and wanted to complete the PADI Open Water course, where would you go?

The first place that comes to mind for me would be Puerto Galera. It's a great place to take a course, due to lots of dive shops and instructors, as well as easy access from Manila. For an uncertified diver, I don't think it is worth the hassle of travelling somewhere more remote, especially if time is limited.

I think pretty much anywhere in Philippines, a low student to teacher ratio is the norm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom