Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that a municipality can so easily supersede State Statutes which pertain to waters of the State. Many thousands of pounds of fish and lobster are landed at this park each year; primarily by the the people who use the boat ramps. This type of activity is heavily promoted by the State FWC and also the County.

The county or city does not own the submerged lands and the rights of fisherman, divers and collectors are protected by State laws. It is not going to be simple to take away the rights of recreational divers to use this site in a legal manner. Water quality endangers the "critters" more than an army of collectors.

Went today. Got there at 10am parking was pretty full but managed to find a spot. Park got closed around 11:30 for a while. Got in the water at 12:30, not very crowded with divers. Had a nice 163 minute dive with 82 degree water and close to 30 feet of vis. Much better than expected for a Holliday weekend, glad I went. High Light Was a school of Tarpon on the east side as well as a beautiful Seahorse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 269
Shame on all you negative mudslingers, bashers of people with an idea to get others motivated to stop the taking of critters from BHB. All you have to say is I agree or I don't agree & if a petition gets started sign it if you agree. Some of you I know & I am surprised at your negative reaction. This thread has changed from years ago when Scott & then Jim started it. The biggest disappointment is the town/city/county that created this park & then years later built & promoted a snorkel park to encourage people to enjoy it. Then they do nothing to protect it. I would sign a petition to stop the collecting of tropicals & all critters residing in the waters of Phil Foster Park. I wish I could do more. Maybe there is someone out there who can help do what Dan suggests. I hope so
Speaking for myself, I want this place protected as much as the next diver. However, I am not gonna post on FB or other media outlet people doing what is legally right for them to do, even if I disagree. Public shaming could very easily be counter productive. If I recall, it wasn't that long ago we as divers were trying to protect the little bit of paradise and tried to keep as low profile as possible for fear of those in control of deeming this place off limits for divers.
Personally, I am not hip to somebody posting telling us that if we don't post photos on FB with public shaming, then we are part of the problem. And then when suggested THEY are more connected than any of us to do something to get the ball rolling, maybe that person should start the charge.. and they are too busy.. :shakehead: I would sign a petition too, but it needs to be well thought out not filled with emotion like I see so many on causes and other petition sites..

I'm not sure that a municipality can so easily supersede State Statutes which pertain to waters of the State. Many thousands of pounds of fish and lobster are landed at this park each year; primarily by the the people who use the boat ramps. This type of activity is heavily promoted by the State FWC and also the County.

The county or city does not own the submerged lands and the rights of fisherman, divers and collectors are protected by State laws. It is not going to be simple to take away the rights of recreational divers to use this site in a legal manner. Water quality endangers the "critters" more than an army of collectors.

Now this is an informative post. Yes it is complicated & won't happen in the near future but we can always hope. I am not one who wants to take away the rights of those who fish from the bridge here. They aren't removing the critters we are talking about although sadly some are bycatch. I respect their right & I am one of the divers who if snagged try to remove the hook rather than cut the line. In fact I have surfaced to signal "stop reeling" I am going to unsnag. Now if they are deliberately trying to get me that is a different story. PS I wouldn't eat a lobster from here

I used to come to this thread to see the gorgeous pictures and videos, but the current drama is becoming quite amusing.

So far I've learned two mayor things:

1- Every single fish collector is a villain. Doesn't matter if she/he payed for the right to legally collect, or put forward the effort of learning how to collect and maintain his targeted species in a careful manner ensuring the survival of the captured creature.... Nah they are ALL horrible people that should be bullied and put to shame, they ALL are just raping the area and none of them understand the need of preserving the place for future generations.
and
2- Having 100 divers at once on the area is perfectly OK and by no means puts any pressure on the area. Having OW classes regularly is just as peachy. ALL divers are capable to figure out how to preserve the area; actually photographers are the best, they only take pictures and NONE of them EVER damage their surroundings.

Yes... somebody please get a very big stick a beat all the collectors they are ALL horrible, terrible, ignorant people that refuse to see things from the same perspective of the divers that know everything.

I'm not a collector, but if I was, a thread like this would be very difficult to resist. I wonder how many responsible collectors have read these later posts and decided that just like fishermen, they have rights and should make sure not to let others step on those rights... just wondering.

Now this is an informative post. Yes it is complicated & won't happen in the near future but we can always hope. I am not one who wants to take away the rights of those who fish from the bridge here. They aren't removing the critters we are talking about although sadly some are bycatch. I respect their right & I am one of the divers who if snagged try to remove the hook rather than cut the line. In fact I have surfaced to signal "stop reeling" I am going to unsnag. Now if they are deliberately trying to get me that is a different story. PS I wouldn't eat a lobster from here

So you deem that edible fish are not the "critters" that the local governments should be concerned with. I am glad to hear that you support the rights of fisherman (and I assume that includes divers using legal gear to targeting the edible fish there)? Yes?

[video=youtube;4jZ-7BJ5Q88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZ-7BJ5Q88[/video]

If we're gonna throw blame around, maybe we could include some of the folks who in their own commercial interests have advertised the ever loving bejesus out of BHB at national and international levels as the Mecca of muck diving...all to attract more business.

I swear if I ever find another place like this, I'll never post the first picture....

Last edited:
This seems as good a place as any to ask. Maybe this is a stupid question with an obvious answer.

I'm stopping at the BHB in July for a weekday noon dive. I'll be on a road trip from Daytona to Key Largo and the timing (tide) is perfect!

I'm from Oregon, so I will have a rental car. More and more frequently, rental cars have a key FOB with integrated key/remote. Sometimes they have a separate FOB, but the key and FOB are permanently connected on a crimped wire ring. If I am unable to separate a key from the FOB/ring, what do I do? How can I dive, and secure all my stuff?

I don't want to make this more complicated than need be. I don't want to have to buy a combination lock-box or some other crazy device to protect the keys.

Anyone have any advice?

Shouldn't someone start a new thread for all this complaining. As stated above I come here for the pictures and reports not the complaining/bi**hing

I'm from Oregon, so I will have a rental car. More and more frequently, rental cars have a key FOB with integrated key/remote. Sometimes they have a separate FOB, but the key and FOB are permanently connected on a crimped wire ring. If I am unable to separate a key from the FOB/ring, what do I do? How can I dive, and secure all my stuff?Anyone have any advice?
Some people have good luck with waterproof containers. I can't say I have had flawless luck with them but this is probably the best option if you have a decent waterproof case.If the key and fob are separate...I have cut the crimped ring on rental car keys many times returning it with a split ring...or one time a zip tie!

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 02:08 PM ----------

Shouldn't someone start a new thread for all this complaining. As stated above I come here for the pictures and reports not the complaining/bi**hing

I'll try my best to get some pics early next week. I know that Scuba Jenny has some new pics she could put up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom