Is the Galileo SOL worth the Extra Money from the LUNA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle deciding on my next dive computer. I want to upgrade and like the look of the Galileo series.

I wont buy new as some good prices can be found on e-bay for hardly used versions. My question is apart from the heart monitor, is the SOL that much better than the LUNA to warrant say a $3-400 increase in price.

I'm very much recreational diver, so I don't need anything to teccy, I have seen both types advertised but just thought I would canvass some opinions on if I should spend the extra cash on the SOL or if the LUNA is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Thanks

Yeah, there's a reason for that.

Not quite the response I was looking for but ok,

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone I know that had a galileo sold them at a huge lose and replaced them with petrels. The rec mode on the petrel is awesome and it's color.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Luna should work fine for you. If you ever go to tec, you can add the PMG (multi-gas) to it down the line. I have a petrel and a luna (that my gf mostly uses now - 711 dives on the luna, still going strong, never had a problem with it), and I am happy diving either.

I have the Sol and do use the HR monitor but it works just fine without it. The Luna is fine and both are great computers with an excellent implementation of AI. It's also very readable even at night, in the "light" display mode and with the backlight on throughout the dive. I've become so dependent on the AI I would not buy a computer without it.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback from people that actually own and use the computers. Sounds like the Luna will be fine for me especially as I can add features at a later date.

Have my eye on one ending on E-bay later today, its local pick up as well, but I have my budget in mind so hopefully it doesn't go over that.

I really liked my Sol. Lots of info and a solid bit of gear. The Luna is also great and yes....does 98% the same thing.
I am one of those guys who replaced his Sol with a Petrel for the tec diving aspect. The digital compass and integrated gas was nice for rec but not so much for tec. People will disagree.

I got my Sol for a great price (even less than a Luna). my advice....go with a Luna. you'll love it.

mockney,

All of the contributors in this thread have hit it on the mark ! Just the two differences, HRM and PMG for the SOL both of which are available as upgrades. The LUNA was designed for the recreational diver who wants the most out of his diving with lots of data but not extreme.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom