Dark Blue or Purple Water with the Hero 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptFlyingDutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently got a Hero 4. I shoot in 1080, 60 fps, with a red filter. Depths of 40ft my video looks amazing.

Pass 40ft, the open water begins to look too dark blue or even purple. This is filmed on a sunny day with 100+ visibility.

60 ft looks saturated? 70 ft
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

I know the image quality will lessen with depth, but this is a problem I never had with my Hero 3. Suggestions?

VicTsing Suction Cup Mount for GoPro HD HERO HERO2 HERO3 Camera (Tripod Mount and Handle Screw)
by VicTsing
http://amzn.com/B00JZMYDH0

It's a filter problem, stay away from the chinese generic manufacturers. They never went diving. The same applies to polarpro filters.

edit: Just for laughs, one of the chinese filters is a "grey" filter that apparently does this magic, it's like adding a flash to your camera.
51zCapPk1sL.jpg

Last edited:
It's a filter problem, stay away from the chinese generic manufacturers.

Not trying to disagree, cuz I'm pretty limited in my GoPro experience. But I'm looking for new filters after losing mine somewhere in a recent move. What I don't get about your reply is if the OP never had a problem with his Hero 3 using this filter, but does with the 4, why is the filter the problem?

Thanks for the info, suggestion on a good filter that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Two suggestions: the SRP Blurfix3+ (this is a 55m screw on filter) for $77 or the Eel Vision "BG" (a thin film internal filter) for ~$10.

I find the additional cost of "flipping/switching" filters ($100+) with multiple filters unnecessary, I've been able to dive with the same $10 filter from 20-80 feet (here's a video I shared on SB recently).

What I don't get about your reply is if the OP never had a problem with his Hero 3 using this filter, but does with the 4, why is the filter the problem?
Think about what changed. It wasn't the filter, it was the camera sensor. The filter is fine with the 3, not so much with the 4. If I had to guess I'd say it's that the 4 is inherently darker since it can shoot in 4K now. So more sensitive to the filter possibly. In auto mode there's white balancing and ISO limiting being decided by the camera as it shoots thru the filter. I suspect tweaking one of them in Protune as Hatul posted will fix it.

For the record, I'm not expert so won't be offended if one corrects me.

Two suggestions: the SRP Blurfix3+ (this is a 55m screw on filter) for $77 or the Eel Vision "BG" (a thin film internal filter) for ~$10.

I find the additional cost of "flipping/switching" filters ($100+) with multiple filters unnecessary, I've been able to dive with the same $10 filter from 20-80 feet (here's a video I shared on SB recently).

That is so killer. Good go on the vid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom