What to combine Layang Layang with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My intial trip plan was to dive Sipadan and then Layang Layang for the Hammerheads but now I have to abandon the Sipadan plan because I can't get insurance for the area as there's an advisory against travel there. So, where else can I go diving that's easy to get to from Kota Kinabalu and it's NOT an island on the east side of Sabah? Any advice please??????

Hi Miss Do. Well you don't HAVE to cancel your plans for Sipadan. You are deciding that the risk is too great to visit there, without insurance, which is a personal choice. There are plenty of opinions that will tell you the risk is minimal and that it is bordering on the criminal to visit Sabah to dive and to not dive Sipadan.

Also if you are ruling the east coast out completely, there is not really anything else that could be called world-class. TARP in front of KK? Mantanani? Not really worth getting wet for. OK if you are in KK and decide you want to dive. But to travel all the way from London? I would urge you to reconsider Sipadan. Or extend your stay in Layang Layang, which is the only world-class is the only place outside of the east coast.

Thanks for your reply OnTheSpot. The good news is, that I have managed to find an insurance company that will cover me for Sipadan, so the initial plan is back on, yay!!!! Just hoping now that the pirates will not want to abduct me.... :))

How was your trip. Sad to say, there was another kidnapping case again by Filipino gunmen last weekend.... *sigh*

OMG!!!! I didnt know that!!! We just got back 10 days ago and we had a wonderful time. I must say that the first night in Kapalai I was worried about the pirates, but gradually I relaxed, plus the fact that there is actually a military base on the resort and the soldiers come with you on the dive boats to Sipadan was reassuring.

Where was the kidnapping from??? Which resort this time? And did they take tourists again of staff?

The recent kidnapping happened at Sandakan.... it's pretty far north from the dive islands..... 2 ppl got kidnapped.... a restaurant employee and a customer.... just received news that one of the kidnapper(apparently the leader) involved was killed in southern Philippines today by Philippine forces.

Thanks for the info. What an awful thing.... Such a shame that the area is plagued by this. At least it was not actually Sipadan/Mabul, but that doesn't make it any better....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom