Wetsuit Recommendation Big Island in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a shorty there. But, then again, I have a significant amount of Bioprene (tm).

Debating between 2/3mm shorty or my 3mm full. Plan to do 2 morning shore dives per day for 4-5 days. Water temp should be around 80F. I normally don't get cold easily. Thinking shorty to save packing space. Thoughts from those who have dove in Hawaii?

I was just there in March, water temp mid-70s, and I was very, very glad to have a full 3mm. If you run warm, and spend enough time in the sun on the SI you might be okay with a shorty, but it'd be a shame to let getting cold detract from your dives. Plus you don't need that much extraneous clothing in Hawaii anyway, I'd use the space on the extra neoprene...

3mm for me. I have never been too warm in the water, but I sure have been too cold. If you get a bit warm with a 3mm, it is easy enough to let in a bit of cool water, but if you get cold, you are going to stay cold.

Did the Aggressor a few years back. Wore a full 5mm, hood and gloves, still got cold over the week. Plan to go dry next time. :)

On the other hand, there was a Canadian girl on board that never used a suit the whole week and didn't miss a dive. Put nearly everyone to shame in terms of cold endurance.

I'm replying a few days late, but a little "local knowledge" cannot hurt :wink:.

Most folks are fine diving 3mm full suits during the summer in Kona. I took our "family group" out on a morning dive this past Sunday at one of our favorite shore dive sites (Puako), and all were fine wearing full wetsuits ranging from 3/2, 3, and 5mm.

I wear a 3mm full with a hood year round, even diving in Hilo which averages a few degrees cooler than Kona.

If you are shore diving, gloves are recommended. Water-softened hands vs sharp and abrasive lava as you haul yourself out of the water at many of our shore dive sites will make you very happy you are wearing gloves.

A caveat regarding wetsuit thickness and diving in Hawaii in general: If you chill easily, especially when doing multiple dives like my wife does, a 5mm full (or even 7mm) is not overkill. You'll "cook" on the surface while suiting-up, but be comfortable in the water. And sometimes when boat diving there can be a bit of a breeze that can chill you a little during the surface interval, especially after a couple dives... so do bring a lite jacket or sweatshirt "just in case".

Have fun!

I am a thin guy and wear a three mil suit with a two mil hooded vest and stay plenty warm. My wife and me are currently in Hilo and would love to share a dive and a beer with you guys during your stay. We love "Hilo Ocean Adventures" (LDS) Aloha!

Layers will work well under a 3mm full suit to adjust warmth. Anything from a long sleeve rash guard to a Lavacore or Sharkskin full suit. When I dove off Kauai a couple Decembers ago, the water was the same 75 degrees. I wore a Lavacore short sleeve shirt under my 3/2 full and was quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom